imap server fail

Discussion in 'Software' started by buzzbee, Jun 10, 2012.

1. buzzbee

buzzbee Private E-2

my computer came up with a basic error tonight, imap server not functioning. I'm using my husband's computer to contact you. what's wrong with it and can I fix it or does someone professional need to look at it?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

First thing, the imap has nothing to do with going on a Internet forum. Second, I am clueless as to what you mean by the imap server failed. imap is related to email, so really need more information. What email service do you use, what email program were you using, or was it through a webportal? Have you tried contacting the tech unit of your Internet provider, if it is a small ma & pop provider? If it is one of the big ones like Comcast, they have a lot of good info to help you on their FAQ or help section related to the problem you are having.

So, first we need to know what ISP. Second, what email program. Third, what email service (yahoo, google, ymail, comcast, etc.). Too many questions, needing answers on your behalf.

3. buzzbee

buzzbee Private E-2

I thought this was a software forum? and since when did email have nothing to do with internet? that's all it said, that the imap server wasn't functioning. not another thing, and it only blipped on and off, I couldn't screen grab it, so I told you all I knew. after a very sureal day, I wasn't exactly focused, but I use webmail server, GoogleChrome, and a small in-town internet provider, with phone service for problems, and the techs aren't there on weekends or holidays.
    some hour or two later I was sitting here working on my husband's computer when something, I'm not sure what because it showed for only a second or two, but looked like a mini "awe, snap" window (Google Chrome's version of "this page is no longer functioning-at least, I thought I saw a folder in it) flicked onto the screen of this computer, so I though, oh, heck, I'll just try it, and it's been fine ever since.
    we had a double power outage yesterday (one of many things in that sureal day), 2 power outages and returns within 2 minutes of each other, the computer's protected by a surge protector power strip and has it's own surge protector if memory serves me, and nothing went wrong at the time, it was hours later.
    as far as I can tell, it was a bogie. a strange one, but that suits for a strange day...

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The idea of IMAP is to sync what's on the mail server with your email client, so the key pieces of information needed are which email client are you using and which ISP's IMAP server are you connecting to?. Maybe other users of the same ISP can then comment and help pin down the problem. Likelihood is though that the IMAP server has had a temporary problem and it will simply rectify itself.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds