IMB ThinkPad 760XL Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crash38n, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Crash38n

Crash38n Private E-2

I bought a used IMB ThinkPad 760XL for my uncle so he could do some rudimentary operations on the computer so here's the problem.

I received an extra, larger, blank (clean) Gig hard drive on which I want to load Win2k. The 760XL will not load the Win2k O/S program using the CD drive as it doesn't recognize the drive as it only recognizes the Floppy drive (on the 760XL you must remove the Floppy and then install the CD drive to use it). I assume this is because of the setup in the BOIS but for the life of me I can't figure out how to change the BIOS to effect this needed change.

I also tried using an external Floppy drive via a USB 2.0 - 2 port Card Bus and using the Win2K Startup disks (which eventually calls for using the Win2k CD) but the 760XL won't recognize the second Floppy drive either. I am stumped.

Thanks for any help offered.

Crash :confused:

2. pari22

pari22 Corporal

little confused. Are you trying to boot to CD ROM? Do you haver CDROM installed on the thinkpad?
    If yes to both, you do not need fdd. win2k CD's are bootable.
    for Bios, i belive f2 on power-on is the key. or could be f1. try both.

3. Crash38n

Crash38n Private E-2

No. It will not boot from the Win2K CD. That's the problem. The 760XL will not recognize the CD drive.
    Tried that and there is nothing in the BIOS that will let me boot to the CD drive. Some how the BIOS needs to be changed but I can't figure out how.

Crash :confused:

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

5. Crash38n

Crash38n Private E-2

Thanks for the link. There are a few things I can try. I will get back with whatever I find out.

Crash :cool:

6. Crash38n

Crash38n Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds