Import outlook mails from ext. hdd?

Discussion in 'Software' started by poundead, Sep 21, 2011.

1. poundead

poundead Private E-2

hi, i need a solution to importing mails to outlook from a hdd.(customer)

The hdd was previously in another xp system but hangs a few minutes after windows starts, so it's inacessable. can i import the mail from the hdd wich i connected as a secondary hdd in another system, can i somehow import the mails and such to this systems hdd?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you are able now to access the drive from a different computer you need to locate and copy any files having the .pst extension, and paste them to the customer's new drive. My Documents would be a suitable place. The files can then be accessed by Outlook after you add them as new data files.

If you have any problem finding the .pst files you could use Everything, a great little program I'm sure you will find many more uses for ;)

3. poundead

poundead Private E-2

Thank you, i found 1 .pst file using the program suggested =)

so the mails and such would be located within this file?

4. poundead

poundead Private E-2

sorry for double post, the files i need to import to outlook are .pat files, how di import them to outlook? current version of outlook is 2003, do i need an newer version to import them?

5. Earthling

Is .pat a typo? Outlook only uses .pst files and they contain everything - emails, contact lists, calendar, the lot. In Outlook they are referred to as data files and you can attach as many as you like. Look in the menus for Data File Management. Sorry I can't be more specific as I use Outlook 2007 and it's laid out completely differently from Outlook 2003. If you have difficulty with this maybe a 2003 user can help.

6. Earthling

OK, I may be able to clarify this a little. There is no importing required here. As long as the pst file you found has now been copied to (My) Documents on the new drive then in Outlook it should be File > Data File Management > Add button > ensure Personal Folders File (.pst) is highlighted and OK, and then browse to wherever you pasted the the .pst file. It will then appear in Outlook complete with all emails etc.

7. poundead

poundead Private E-2

i did it, i had to use easus data recovery to get a hold of the mails from the "busted" hdd, i imported the dbx files into windows live mail, and exported them for the customer to use, thanks for the help =) much appreciated

8. Earthling

mmm... it would have helped if you had told us that it was Outlook Express files you were trying to recover, not Outlook. .dbx are Outlook Express data files, .pst are Outlook data files. You want to get the right answers you've got to ask the right questions rolleyes

9. Goldslaugher

Goldslaugher Private E-2

I was having the same issue with getting the files to import. I am running Win7 64. After installing Windows Essentials importing was easy. I copied the file needed from old drive to my working desktop. I did not have to download any data recovery program to do this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds