Import to USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Janet Sullivan, May 9, 2005.

1. Janet Sullivan

Janet Sullivan Private E-2

Is this the right forum for info on importing OE emails from my USB to a different computer? When I try to follow the instructions in 'moving mail' it just says there's nothing in the folders in the travel drive. When I explore it (Drive E) all the files are actually there. If wrong forum, please let me know where. Janet :eek:

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I'm assumoing that you are trying to say that you want to move something from a USB hard drive onto another computers hard drive?? Or Vice Versa??

Is there an OS on the USB drive and/or have you formatted this USB Drive??

When you plug this USB drive into a computer, you should be able to use "My Computer" to explore the drive and then just paste and copy any file you want from one location to whatever destination you want!! If you are using Windows XP, you can use the file and settings transfer wizard, or just right click on the file you want and "Send To" "My Documents", if you are trying to move from the USB drive to the computer drive, or if you want to go the opposite way, then right click on the file you want to move and then "Send To" whatever drive the Usb drive is!!

That is...if i'm understanding your question correctly!! If not...please elaborate for me!! This is an excellent forum to seek advice, however most people are helping alot of people at once, so if you don't explain CLEARLY, then sometimes everyone will bypass your question!!

Roger

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

HERE is a google search for outlook express back up tools ... if that is what you are looking for

4. Janet Sullivan

I am in a critical time constrained mess at the moment! :( Sorry I haven't been back but I'm leaving in 12 hours and I am trying to move my emails from one computer to another using the USB.

What I have done is: go to Outlook Express, right click on Inbox, properties. Then right click on field w/folder path c:\\docs & Settings. Select All.

Right click & copy. Close w/OK. Open Start & Programs~accessories~notepad. Then edit & paste. Delete file name back to Outlook Express\. Then ContA & ContC. Start, Run, ContV, OK. Then select all U copy to USB.

OK--you are a geek and you know this because it came right off of directron.com. Now is the problem.

When I actually try to copy to the USB, I am suddenly copying 2, 3 and up to 40 times each file!! When I try to delete these 'copies' I actually just iincrease them and they make more copies. :(

I can't seem to go in and move 1 file at a time either. When I did actually get about 30 email files copied into the USB and stopped and then went to the other computer. I followed the directions from directron.com and when it got to the copy command, it read it "this folder is empty" Meaning that drive E (the USB) was empty. However, going into "My Computer" and reading the USB, it had the 30 files on it. :mad: :confused:

I'm trying to be specific as you asked. Please help as I'm desperate. Thanks. Janet

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you have messages in a folder that you want to import into outlook express? try this:

I'm assuming you exported them from Outlook Express 6 .. otherwise select what version of OE or whatever email client you exported them from

File>Import>Messages> select 'Microsoft Outlook Express 6' > click next > select 'Import mail from an OE6 store directory' and click 'Only import mail that was downloaded ... blah blah' > then click next > click browser and locate your directory and you should be done

I would think it would be prudent to import your email account info before doing this as it might confuse things ... or you might make a seperate folder(in OE6) for your old emails

hope that helped

6. Janet Sullivan

Don't know if morning is a good time. Last night I tried all sorts of ways to Export my email a)Inbox b)folders to the USB. There are a LOT of them. For various reasons,no system that I tried worked well.

Using the way I described ends up making 40 copies of each file (!) into the USB. Then at some point, when trying to copy, a message pops up that says "Cannot create a folder for ***" and when I click OK, it stops right there.

If I got into any individual folder and try to just move the folder by clicking Select All, I get the entire inbox--again---of over 1200 files. It won't let me even drop & drag just 10 files. Or maybe I could do one at a time, but that's a whole lot of files.

And then, "if" I do get to the USB and try to import into computer B, I get all the files in no organization and they all copied into the Active Email list--again, in no order.

With a bizillion people a day transferring files from CompA to CompB using a USB, there must be a simple way!!! Thanks :( --- oh yeah, when I try the system of going to the store directory, to export, I'm not sure what to do once I click on "store"--it gives me a window, but so what? I've tried that about 10 times but I'm not understanding something there. :confused:

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

The store folder button is there to change the default location of where outlook express stores the emails. I would not change that unless you had a reason to, and I don't think backing up your emails is a reason. You could just locate that folder with windows explorer and copy all the files with a .DBX extention or goto file>export>messages. (I'm sorry I though you were having problems importing them earlier)

there are also programs like THIS which might make it easier for you to make a back up of your email :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds