Importing mail and address to outlook 2000

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcadam, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

OK fellow geeks help me out please on something I can't get my head around!

Just done a new build for someone, and put xp on etc on a new hard drive.

Got the old drive in there for docs etc and she really wants the mail and addresses from the previous drive (had win98 on) onto her new drive. She had Outlook 2000 before, and I've put her version of it on the xp.
    So knowing how to import this mail and addresses would be great, also, she really wants the favourites imported from the old drive to the new drive.

I'm not so familiar with 98, and how everything is arranged, so if someone could point me in the steps direction etc!

I thought about booting from the old drive, exporting the data to the new one but surely there's an easier option??

Cheers in advance geezers and geezeresses :)

2. MamaGeek

MamaGeek Private E-2

I love this part of changing computers. (not)

First, you have to export the file from the original program.

In the original Outlook program:
    Click File, Import and Export, and select Export to a file.

Under "Create a file of type:" select Personal Folder File (.pst)

Under "Select the folder to export from:" select Personal Folders (this will transfer all the email and the contacts list). Click "Include subfolders" if there are any. You can use the Filter option to sift out the messages you don't want.

Save it to a floppy, cd or traveldrive. It's automatically titled "backup.pst".

Now you can import it to the new program.

In the new Outlook program, again, Click File, Import and Export, but this time select "Import from another program or file".

Under "Select file type to import from:" scroll down to "Personal Folder File (.pst) and click next.

Under "File to import" browse to where you saved the exported file, and click next. You have options to replace duplicates or not.

The next selection allows you to include subfolders, import into new folders or keep the same settings.

This works for me, also remind your friend to run backups often, and once a week save the backups to a cd or floppy. They don't do you any good if you can't get to them!

Hope this helps.

MamaGeek

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

If this works tomorrow when I go I'll let you know.

Thanks for the detailed reply :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds