Impossible hard disk image transfer from HDD to external USB 2.0 HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Predrag.Jasic, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Predrag.Jasic

Predrag.Jasic Private E-2

I will enclose here my complaint which I send to motherboard maker Gigabyte, regarding USB external hard disk problem. Please read it and if anybody knows how to solve this, thanks.My computer has 500GB external hard drive connected to USB 2.0 port(s), which are extremely slow. Drive is Transcend StoreJet. No drivers exist for it. It works perfectly for other I/O operations like copy, paste, delete,etc. When I try to make hard disk image with any program, and store it on Transcend Store Jet, speed starts with 50MB/s but drops to nearly zero in few minutes. It is the same with any program. Disk image would take more than one day to complete, if it completes at all. Actually, I never managed to finish image with any disk imaging software. I tried all usual software for that: Paragon, Aomei, Acronis, EaseusToDo, Drive XML, etc. Are there any USB or other drivers which are responsible for this issue? Can Gigabyte be serious regarding its costumers and provide them solution in order to use USB ports for most important thing (backup)? In this case, making disk image is totally impossible. USB 2.0 ports have theoretical speed of 480 Mbit/s. This is far cry from situation here. So, USB ports on this Gigabyte configuration is totally useless for backup on external USB hard disk. Clearly, there is serious bug which can cause loss of data - worst outcome in computer use for your customers. NOTE: all disks, internal HDD and external USB are checked multiple times and they do not have any errors. Hard disk has 500GB, only 137GB is occupied. BIOS and Windows can see USB disks. BIOS is upgraded to version 5-maximum. It is on Safe Default Setting. Computer was in service few days ago and they did't diagnose any faulty component. Please feel free to ask me for further questions if needed.

2. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

"I suggest that you try "Casper" by Future Systems Solutions. They have a trial offer for you to give it a try. You'll love it for cloning any drive on your computer. Here's a link. www.fssdev.com/products/casper

3. Predrag.Jasic

I will but the problem is definitely not software (it is the same with Linux disk imaging and that means that even Windows 7 is not an issue).- all work the same e.g. have the same result. Problem is in USB system on motherboard.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

It could be something as simple as replacing the USB cable and/or trying a different port on the computer. It could also be the SATA/PATA to USB interface of the external hard drive.

5. Predrag.Jasic

-------------------------

Tried, same result.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. Predrag.Jasic

It is NTFS.

8. Predrag.Jasic

Regular backup is OK

Does anybody have similar problem? And yes, there are bad sectors on Transcend. But what is interesting, right now I am performing regular backup on it. It goes well. Just to try.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No. I have 4 external hard drives. They are all Western Digital. Two are 500GB and two are 1TB. I image four Win 7 computers monthly and have yet to have any stall or refuse to create an image.

10. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have 2 WDs, 2 Toshibas and a Samsung and none have exhibited this behavior. I can say that the farther into a backup I go, the transfer speed drops perhaps by as much as 50% but it never hangs.

11. Predrag.Jasic

I bought new disk. Enough is enough.

12. GinoDL

GinoDL Private E-2

I had a similar problem with an Asrock motherboard, which turned out to be a faulty Etron USB controller chip. The solution that worked for me was to purchase a PCE to USB (2 or 3) adapter card, and to disable the on-board USB controller in the motherboard's BIOS. NewEgg sells several flavors of these cards for about 30 bucks, and it was well worth the money. At least it was a whole lot cheaper than replacing the motherboard, which was excellent except for the USB problem. As a bonus, the card has four USB 3.0 ports on it. The card came with a CD with updated drivers on it, and the whole project took about 1/2 hour from start to finish.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds