Improper display on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halfuara, May 22, 2014.

1. halfuara

halfuara Private E-2

Hello,

I recently received a sony VAIO pcg-71913L from someone. It's mostly in good shape, save for the fact that it was dropped once, and now the screen is messed up. Let me describe it:

It's usually a white screen with many black vertical bars running from top to bottom. It also has a a fat horizontal bar at the top. Nonetheless, I cannot see anything, no bios, no splash screen, no OS. I've connected another monitor, and it doesn't display anything either. From the information I was told, the screen is not broken, so it must be something else. I've also already opened up the laptop and disconnected the monitor cables, disconnected the monitor itself, and everything seems to be in place. What other causes could it be?

By the way, this laptop (should have) only had integrated graphics (from i3 processor)

Thanks in advance. halfaura

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you get nothing on the computer or on a connected monitor, not even a BIOS indication then the graphics chip is gone.

3. halfuara

halfuara Private E-2

In that case, since the graphics card is included with CPU, would changing that work?

4. halfuara

halfuara Private E-2

update: Now it's just a black screen. It doesn't turn on anymore either.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The video is a chip on your motherboard, it is not on the CPU. Once that goes, your options are a new motherboard, ir a new laptop. Since the price of the motherboard for that model is over $600, it's probably better to save your money and get a new laptop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds