In need of a fire wall

Discussion in 'Software' started by clemmo, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clemmo

clemmo Private E-2

Thank you all for coming to my aid with my previous cries for help. Here's another. I'm working with window XP and my 90-day trial period on the Macafee firewall is soon to terminate. My question is this; What is a good firewall to get and is there a good firewall that may be shareware or something very inexpensive. My internet connection is cable.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. billH

billH Master Sergeant

And I, like a lot of other people, like the bottom one, (Zone Alarm). But they are all good (as good as free gets) protection. If you keep them updated (i.e. at least once a month -- preferably once a week, what the heck it takes a whole three minutes to check, download and get back to what you were doing :) )they will all give good service. Look at all of them, check out the features and see which one fits you best.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

One of the biggest reasons I don't like ZA is its' over zealous reporting of normal scans. It makes people come running scared that they are being attacked. I find it mis-representing. It should not be a default setting and thus makes it to the bottom of my list.

5. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

23900 blocked intruions lol and i instaled ZA pro a week ago.

Is thare a seting to chang that ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  6. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

i do not like zonealarm because it requieres internet explorer.

bye

7. goroeder

goroeder Private E-2

i did not know zonealarm required i.e. and the settings can be adjusted (Filtered) i did notice that it takes significantly longer to boot my pc and zonealarm can be finiky. i use it anyways because i like to see what my computer is doing on the net. i run blackice underneath zonealarm and it seems that this is a preety good combination.

8. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

If you do not require ZA to report intrusions it just sits there nicely in the background doing its job and never bothers you. I have never had a problem with it, with IE or Netscape.

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

ZA doesn't require IE.. :confused:

10. harry

harry Private "Bad" Joker

11. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Zone alarm does not require IE

I use it with opera, firebird netsscape, avant, myIe2

never had a problem with any of them.

zone alarm does not care what browser yo use. it cares about tcp ip and ports

12. Lance Bombardier

Lance Bombardier Private First Class

I use ZA with Mozilla no worries

13. Thing

Thing Guest

let me repeat: if you want to install the last version of zone alarm you need to have internet explorer installed.

14. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

internet explorer has NOTHING to do with the installation. Internet Explorer is a BROWSER!

15. Thing

Thing Guest

ho kodo... ho ko... i don't like your image (that thing that looks like halo) but i was thinking that you knew much about computers... i think you know...
    but how can you say that? since the last version of microsoft windows 95 internet explorer is everywhere in microsoft windows... there were lots of controversy because everyone said that with internet explorer embedded like that microsoft would take control of everything.
    and thats true, internet explorer is everywhere, in the main windows executable explorer.exe (those who don't have internet explorer installed have to use explorer.exe from windows 95), its everywhere... really
    the installer puts lots of .dll's, many applications won't run without them, for example msn messenger, and even trillian won't connect to msn without that .dll (no one really knows much about this, if we knew, i think we could just copy that dll file), you can't use the last version of acrobat reader, sygat firewall... ... ... you have to insall "vbscript" and "xml help" (something like that) won't work.
    i wish i could install zonealarm, now i don't know wich to use. of course, i would choose sygat firewall first.

16. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Okay Thing, If I give you all of the above as true, the question still remains: Have you tried to install Zone Zlarm -- or are you just thinking you can't because of IE's pervasive presence in Windows? If you haven't tried installing ZA how do you know it won't work?

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So are we arguing BS semantics?

Because if we are, then guess what? every firewall in Windows requires IE!

Sheesh, to think i spent all this time reading this...what a waste.

Windows has IE integrated. That doesn't mean the firewall requires IE.

This is a silly argument.

And Kodo knows a lot about computers, I think that comment was a little uncalled for.

18. billH

billH Master Sergeant

So are we arguing BS semantics?
    Evidently. That's what I was trying to ascertain too.

19. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes.. semantics are fun. I must maintain that Internet explorer is NOT windows explorer although commands can be passed between iexplore and explorer. They are NOT the same .exe's . It is ultimately mis-information in which he gives out and it's quite annoying.

The other applications use things like mshtml.dll and urlmon.dll for their ads!! sheesh.

20. Thing

Thing Guest

i wouldn't say that zone alarm requieres internet explorer if i didn't try...

not all firewalls need internet explorer

the first microsoft windows 95 didn't have internet explorer, all that you have to do is use some files from that version, for the example the explorer

21. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

for the last time.
    ZONE ALARM DOES NOT REQUIRE IE.. end of story.
    thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds