In search of Compaq drivers...

Discussion in 'Software' started by PC-XT, Apr 15, 2008.

1. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I need drivers for 2 devices in a Compaq PC whose hard drive I had to replace with an older one with Windows 98.
    Everest says the Motherboard Name is Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series

Device 1: Matrox Millennium G200 AGP Video Adapter (according to Everest)
    CPQ Spare No.: 402125-001

Device 2: Ensoniq ES1371 AudioPCI-97 Sound Card (according to Everest)
    CPQ Spare No 160559-001

I'm trying the Compaq site, but haven't found anything yet. I don't have the exact model number for the computer, and it was probably not available with Win98, anyway. The display only shows 16 colors, because Windows has only loaded the minimal standard driver. I've already installed the driver for the display: an hp pavilion.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here's a link directly to the video driver; a download link will open when you click it
    ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/win_9x/2002/w9x_682.exe

The Ensoniq1371 is actually a Creative chip in disguise and was sold under several names, including the AudioPCI64, AudioPCI128, Audio3000, and others. Here's a driver from the Creative archives that should work for Windows98
    http://us.creative.com/support/down...=&driverlang=1033&OS=2&drivertype=0&x=19&y=10
    Be sure to use #3 on the list; the other choices are wavesets and don't do much without the main driver being installed.

Good luck! I hope these links help!

:major
    [dlb]

3. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

Ty. I heard the sound card was a Sound Blaster, but didn't know how correct that was. That was fast! You are very good at this! I am downloading the drivers... I'll let u know how they work.

4. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

The display driver works great! Thanks for the help! Just one problem: the sound card driver isn't working. The device manager says the card is a PCI Multimedia Audio Device without a driver. [with ?! icons] I ran the installer again (and restarted again), but still the same. The device status is: drivers not installed for this device (Code 28.). Any idea what this means? I'll look on the site I got it from... Found nothing, but looking at list of device manager error codes. 28 is the one I have... BTW, no pressure, I'm not in a big hurry here. I was mostly hoping to get the video working, which was successful!

5. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I tried removing it from device manager and reinstalling, but no use. I don't know where an .INI file would be, so I haven't used the Wizard.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

7. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

Driver #1 got the sound icon next to the clock, but the sound didn't work, and on restart it disappeared again. I tried #2 and it worked, but didn't sound until I changed the output mode to Analog. Now I think it's working quite well.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it (along with everyone else here.)

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive :celebrate :dancer :drink
    Glad to hear that all is well, and I'm always happy to help! ;)
    Good job!

:major
    [dlb]

9. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

It's still working. Thanks again. :) I do appreciate your help. I doubt I ever would've been able to get it working on my own.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds