Inaccessible User accounts XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by annenap, Oct 30, 2005.

1. annenap

annenap Private E-2

I'm fixing a machine for a friend that was in a bad way. I couldn't even boot from the hard drive at all, so I don't k now what kind of functioning condition it was last in. I wound up re-installing Windows XP Pro.

The problem is that when re-installing windows, I was asked to supply a name for the computer. Now, when I go into User Accounts, I see the new user account I created, but not the old ones, because apparently the machine did not have a name.

When I look in the Documents & Settings folder, listed are folders for the new user accounts I created when re-installing windows, plus folders for the old user accounts. The old user accounts cannot be accessed through the control panel. It doesn't recognize them.

I have no problem merging Favorites, Documents, etc. manually. The problem is that all the Program Files are under the old user accounts and cannot be accessed except by seemingly reinstalling them all. For example, when I try to run Excel (I run the Excel.exe file directly from the folder), I get the error message "Microsoft Excel has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application" (even tho' I can see a *&#!* blank spreadsheet in the background!).

I didn't explain this as well as I hoped to, but I hope it makes enough sense for someone to offer some help.

Thanks,
    Anne

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. annenap

annenap Private E-2

Hi Steve-

Thanks, but that refers to a file Opa11.dat which I don't have anywhere on the machine. The only .dat file I have in ...Office\Data is data.dat and there is no Security option in Properties.

I even tried it my own computer. I do have the Opa11.dat file, but again, no Security Option.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds