Incompatability Symantec Drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by wbaria, Aug 11, 2010.

1. wbaria

wbaria Private E-2

On a Visa system, tried to install old version of Norton utilities, said drivers were incompatability, but like a dumb sh... I preceded on. now whenever system boots the following appears:
    Driver: Symantec TDI and NDIS drivers incompatability
    Publisher: symantec

gives option of "Check for solution Online"

The checking for solution runs but nothing changes.

How do I correct this?

thanks
    willie

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Uninstall that old version of Norton Utilities and see if the message disapears, may also need to run the Norton Removal Tool HERE to clean up any reminents of the application.

Many of the older versions of applications dont work with Vista and above, so either get latest version that is compatible or a similar application/s with the features you like that where in Norton utils.

CCleaner will cover Junk Cleaning (temps etc), registry cleaning, secure deletion etc
    Eusing Registry Defrag, does what it says, but to be honest, defragging the registry is a bit like swiming trough treacle, not going to make you go any quicker... the registry is one of those areas that is picked on in saying clean and defrag it for a speedy PC, yes while keeping it clean from old junk Key entries "may" spped it up a touch, but its not going to be noticable at all. I only clean the registry on my PC due to installing many many apps to test and removing them so have at times a dirty registry or when I advise a user to clean the registry as part fo troubleshooting.

Vista is also pretty good at optimising itself for most used applications (prefetch helps with this) its memory management is good (better than XP but not as good as Windows 7).

Both those applications I mention are free.

3. wbaria

wbaria Private E-2

Sorry I took so long in reposting. I tried everything that you said but the condition still exists. Can you tell me how to find out the name of the drivers, for that way I can remove them? Can you tell me how to find out what task/process is causing the messages to appear at startup?

Thanks
    Willie

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If the Norton Removal Tool didnt help (most cases it will) then you will have to pick the version of Norton you installed from this list HERE and follow the instructions to manually uninstall.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds