Incompatible RAM chips causing USB port problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john s., Aug 15, 2006.

1. john s.

john s. Private E-2

I have a dell dimension T500 with 128M of ram (pc100). I had perfectly good pc133 ram chip (256M) lying around, so I thought, what the heck? why not see if it works in the Dell? well, it seems to boot up just fine with both chips installed. (I put the 256M chip in the first slot.) BUT... now both of the devices (cd-rom drives) that use the USB ports are not working... they're not even listed in the "my computer" window. It's like they're not even there, although they have power and open/close their drive doors. Did I do something bad, mixing those chips? will everything work ok if i just use the newer 256M pc133 chip? or, should I go back to the old pc100 128M chip alone? Thanks for any info you might have. (btw -- that machine is running windows 98).

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Your 133 ram should be ok it's just going to run at 100, if thats what your m-board supports, try restarting and see if they come back, not very knowedgable about 98. ed

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

un plug the usb cables and plug em back in. and then check the device manager and see if there are any ! where the usb entries are

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds