Incomplete Windows XP Load - HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by rbubar, Aug 17, 2009.

1. rbubar

rbubar Private E-2

I formatted my c: drive, and was installing Windows XP from my system manufacturer disk, and it gets stuck at "can't find Windows SP1". It now queues me to locate SP1. Since I can't locate it, I hit cancel and it puts me in a repetitive loop where it reboots and comes right back to the SP1 file install.

I removed the install disk and noticed it was scratched. That is likely why it can't find the file.

I would like to just start over with a fresh copy of XP. How can I reformat the C: drive without a boot disk? I tried Derick's Boot Nuke program, but was unsuccessful.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks! :)

What sort of problem did you have with Boot 'n Nuke? Did you burn the iso with software capable of doing so? How did you format your hard drive the first time?

3. rbubar

rbubar Private E-2

I reformatted with the Manufacturer's Install Disk. I deleted the entire Partition and then reformatted it. I was doing a complete new install of Windows Xp on the formatted C:

I downloaded the Boot N Nuke software, but didn't have the compatible software to do anything with it. After a bit of research, I downloaded and installed "WinImage". Its interface resembles Winzip a bit, but that too didn't do much. So I went with the obvious, I burned all the files to DVD with Nero Express on my laptop and tried to Boot from DVD on the desktop pc. I got nothing.

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

The iso file that is created when Boot n' Nuke is extracted is the file that you want to burn to CD with appropriate software. You could try using this, which is free and does a good job, http://www.majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html.
    Finished product will be a bootable CD that will "0" the hard drive. Hope this helps! :)

5. rbubar

rbubar Private E-2

NOVICE ~
    Thank you for the help. I have downloaded IMGBURN and will use that to burn the ISO file to DVD. Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks again...;)

6. rbubar

rbubar Private E-2

NOVICE -
    Couple issues before I begin:

- When I extract the files from the Boot N Nuke ISO file, I get 4x folders (CONFIG, DOCUMENTATION, LICENSES, AND MEDIA-STICKER) and 7x additional files. The obvious file to me to burn to CD is the DBAN_1_0_7_I386.IMA file. Is this correct? I also don't have any programs on my pc that identify this file because it shows up as the default Windows icon. There is also a BOOT.CATALOG file??? Do I need this on the CD?

- Second, When I launch the IMGBURN software, there are 6x options, Do I first select "Create Image File from files/folders", then "Write Image file to disc"?

Sorry for sounding so ignorant. Thanks again for all the help.

7. rbubar

rbubar Private E-2

NOVICE -
    Disregard my last reply. I worked it out and I am now running Boot N Nuke on my desktop.

I simply burned the Boot N Nuke ISO file directly to a DVD using the IMGBURN software you referred me to. Dropped the DVD into the drive and reboot the pc. Bada-Bing!!! I am formatting now...

Thanks...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds