Inconsistent Networking on XP Pro/Vista Machines

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LouisLois, Apr 24, 2007.

1. LouisLois

LouisLois Private E-2

I have a new Vista Business laptop that I am networking to my existing XP Pro network (5 machines). The Vista immediately recognized 3 of my XP machines, and they returned the favor, but 2 of the machines seem to be invisible to the Vista machine, although they're fine with the others.

When this sort of thing happened in the past I usually installed various additional protocols and services in the Networking menu (TCP/IP etc) until everything worked, but Vista doesnt seem to have anything more to install.

Any suggestions would be much appreciates,and I could provide more details if that would be helpful. Part of it may have to do with my newbie-ness on Vista.

Would the fact that I am connecting to the network wirelessly (while the exisiting machines use Ethernet) make any difference?

thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds