Incremental backups possible with FreeAgent?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luckyneil, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Luckyneil

Luckyneil Private First Class

I suppose this is as much a software question as a hardware question but anyway.....

I just got a Seagate 500GB external hard drive to back up my pictures.

The first backup will be a biggie but after that I'll be only need to be backing up the most recent pics. Can I do that, like select 4 or 5 of the newest folders and copy then over?

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

What I would do-
    Do a full backup of the folder(s) where your pics are.
    After you add pictures, do an incremental or differential backup.
    Incremental backs up everything in increments-mondays changes only, tuesdays changes only.

Differential backs up EVERYTHING thats changed from the full backup-MONDAYS,Tuesdays,etc

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

PM me your email address and I'll send you a simple batch file that does it quickly for you. I just used it again, yesterday, to backup my C:\ ...\My Music Folder (1600+ tracks) to 2 different Folders on my W: external drive.

You will have to modify it, to change your "From" and "TO" drives and Folders of course but that is not too difficult, IMO.

Bazza

===

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

SyncToy will do this with its ECHO option, which only copies or syncronises two folders with the latest files only.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I used a 6 line batch file to copy 10,700+ mp3 files from one hard drive to another in around 80 minutes, and will add only new files in future runs.

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds