INETCPL.cpl and NETCPL.CPL (W98SE) problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faster, May 17, 2012.

1. faster

faster Private E-2

Can someone upload images of the tabs for INETCPL.cpl and NETCPL.CPL (W98SE)? Or better yet the files? Mine are definitely screwed up, and I think on INETCPL I am missing a tab or two.

On INETCPL, if I select "create a log file" it doesn't, and the selection is deselected. I've also read of other features the file is supposed to have that mine doesn't. I'd like to peek at what the "real thing" is supposed to look like. I've tried extracting it, but it never comes out different, even if I put it on the desktop, mark it read only and plunk it into the System folder. No scanner has found the malware that is doing this to the file.

A question I've had a long time: Do the choices made to the INETCPL.CPL folder apply to browsers other than IE6, like Firefox? I have some reason to think they don't. But I also have reason to think they ought to.

On NETCPL.CPL, it has recently begun to obscure the checkbox to choose to use NETBIOS over TCP/IP, and I don't know why. I have no use at ALL for Netbios, but it is selected, and I can't change it.

I'd like to get new copies of both of these files. Of course, if I have malware that is doing the changing, new files won't help, but I don't know what else to do. Nothing I've got has found such a malware. My scanners seem to accept these messed-with files as perfectly proper.

I don't!

They used to work fine until about a year or so ago. I hadn't made any changes to my OS or hardware when it began.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds