Ineternet Security programs are driving me crazy....

Discussion in 'Software' started by elazarus, Mar 6, 2007.

1. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

I have used PC-Cillin and it was a pain. Then I bought 2 new computers and put Norton on them and they slowed down. So I tried Mcafee and they didn't slow down, they almost stopped.

Trial period of AVG Pro left something lacking. Zone Alarm IS 2007 slowed things up.....and now Kaspersky IS 6.0 is ok but the Spam program is terrible.

I use Spy sweeper, Ad-Aware SE, CCleaner and Registry mechanic to keep a clean house.....but isn't there an Internet Software program that is a good anti virus/spam/spyware package that doesn't slow anything down?

I am guessing that they all have their good as well as bad points and I don't want to be a slave of different products for each component....

What is the answer?

Thank you

Elliot

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

NO sadly is the answer as these all in one packages install so many cojoining services and processes which in some make your PC crawl, which you have experienced, many I know here and on other forums prefer to install the free separates for each of those tasks as they work with less system resourses as a whole than those of the all in ones.

3. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

Re: Internet Security programs are driving me crazy....

That is what I thought......

So if I use:

SpamBayes as the spam program

Spy Sweeper for Spyware

What is the best for Anti virus, and then Anti-Hacker/Firewall and anything else that is a must have.

Thank you

Elliot

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with Halo, single purpose programs are usually the best, even if you have to use multiple programs. Check out the "Must Have Free downloads" at http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20
    for lots of good FREE stuff.

Bazza

===

5. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

So are you saying that the "Free Software" for each category is better than any of the "Purchased" software....knowing now that an ALL IN ONE package is pretty much useless?

Which is the best firewall? Is Microsoft Windows Firewall good enough not to add another package?

Thank you

Elliot

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

No, what I am saying is that single purpose software is usually better (less process / CPU / RAM intensive) than multi purpose software bundles.

Lots of free software is as good as $$$$ software and the price is right.:D
    The link is to allow you to make some choices, if you want.

Zone Alarm (free) version, and others, are as good or better than the MS Firewall as they monitor traffic both ways (into and out of your PC) as the MS firewall only monitors traffic INTO your PC.

For a choice of Firewalls check out:-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads34.html

Both $$$ and free versions listed. Your choice.;) Bazza

===

7. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

Let's build a IS package..........

OK, I am a believer.

If you were to put together a "Package" of the Best of the best "Must-have" Internet Security, what is necessary and which program?

Spam.........................SpamBayes

Spyware....................Spysweeper

Anti Virus...................

Firewall....................

And what else?

Thank you

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: Let's build a IS package..........

Hi

My take on security is that whatever package you use is good enough to keep you pretty safe, safty depends alot on your surfing habbits and keeping your OS upto date, and the free options seem to me and I use them exclusively, have kept me malware free.

They tend to use less resources that the all in one packages, but their are single options in Nod32, ESET and KAV for antivirus that are amongst the best, but they cost and dont protect you much if you dont safe surf and download unsafe or unknown applications.

I've added my options in your list above in red and added a must IMO, its prevention only and is not a scanner, it doesnt run but adds known bad activex and domains in the blocked URL list of IE and Firefox its called Spywareblaster. Plus A2 Scanner scanner its on demand and picks up items that many miss.. good backup app.

9. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

OK....took Kaspaersky 6.0 Internet Security off the computer and installed:

Comodo Firewall

Avast AV

The computer hung up a few times trying to boot and would not find my wireless router for internet access. I shut off the AV and firewall and the Netgear started right up......then I started the AV and Firewall again.

Lots of Pop ups on Avast for Firefox, Outlook etc......so right now I would say that the system is less than stable but not slowed down......of course, clicking off all those pop up boxes is slower than a Norton slowdown......

It's always something. But I have a feeling that Comodo and Avast are not long for this computer based upon the last 2 hours.

Elliot

10. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I have Bit Defender 10 Antivirus Plus,other than 1minute delay on startup for network configuration,I realy have no problem with this software.Looks great,works great,no slowdowns like you have.Try it ,you should be satisfied with Bit Defender.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds