Info on hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rebelyel, Nov 2, 2007.

1. rebelyel

rebelyel Private E-2

Hi all,
    I have an HP Slimline computer that suddenly and without warning shuts off. I took it to a tech who believes that the video card has overheated and this is whats causing the problem. Anyway, to my question. I need to get all of the information from the hard drive before it goes into the shop to be repaired, because the tech said that I (he) will have to reformat my hard drive once the video card has been replaced. I would like to save all of my settings, email, firefox profiles, documents,security, anti-virus program settings etc. Basically I want to be able to pick up where I left off before the problem started. So, is this possible and if so how do I do it? In windows XP (which I am running) if you go to accessories>system tools>backup a wizard will open and you can supposedly back up your info. Is this a viable option? I am also considering an external hard drive to back up to. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks
    Reb

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Your video card is made on the motherboard, if he replaces the motherboard with the factory replacment, he dosent even need your hard drive to be installed, and it will also work like it always did, he should know that. I dont know of one model that has a dedicated video card, even if it did you wont need to reinstall windows, if you insist that he work on your pc, pull your hard drive before taking it in. If you will post in detail what the pc is actually doing we might be able to help you fix the problem if it is not a part faliure. ed

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Tunered is right on. You should not need a format to install a new video card or motherboard/video combo if you replace it with the same one. I would look around some for a different repair person, or as Tunered suggested, post a thread and maybe we can help you fix it yourself.

E

4. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

he is most likely trying to make u pay for something you don't need done
    its a very sad fact but there are a lot of dishonest geeks now a days :( :cry:

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REINSTALL WINDOWS OR DO A FORMAT TO INSTALL a NEW VIDEO CARD Even if its not the same one
    Unless he Changes the Mother Board with a Different model
    Even than U don't have to you can Just UnInstall all the Drivers and then u have to reactivate windows with Microsoft

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Before anybody jumps the gun I would suggest asking your tech why he thinks he will need to reinstall Windows. Find a better tech if he can't or won't explain it properly.

If your dead graphics is on the motherboard, which is likely with a slimline pc, he will have to replace the whole board.
    Now the exact replacement may not be (economically) available but a good tech may find a suitable substitute.
    If this is the case then Windows may well refuse to start again and have to be be reinstalled.
    I have seen this many times.
    Installation of a new separate graphics card or identical motherboard should not lead to reinstallation of Windows or Activation issues.

Normally I would make a (DVD or CD) copy of the customer's data before doing this as a matter of course.
    However I think you will be disappointed as there are some things you will not be able to save for transfer this way. Settings of most installed programs including your anti virus fall into this category.

For your information repair shops will not guarantee your data during the repair and a backup is wise.

I have heard PC World require £100 up front for this service, before starting work on the repair.
    Add this company to favorites!

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Good call Studiot! I think some more information is needed.

E

7. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

quote, If your dead graphics is on the motherboard, which is likely with a slimline pc, he will have to replace the whole board.

Why do you base your comment on this? I have three of these pc's and have had absolutely to trouble, Yet. Thanks. ed

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Not sure what your question is. Ed

If the graphics is truly dead or dying and an integral part of the motherboard, how else would you fix it economically?

I think everyone is agreed more information/explanation is needed.

9. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

After reading your post i thought you knew something was wrong with the HP slimline onboard video,[ that i hadnt heard about] mine has worked great. ed

10. rebelyel

rebelyel Private E-2

As it was explained to me by the tech-
    The video card is made on the motherboard. If I replace it with the same type of motherboard then it is going to cost me a small fortune. If I replace it with a different motherboard I loose everything. Doesn't really leave me with a lot of options.

I took it to CompUSA first and they wanted $259.00 just to look at it-this also not an option, since I have been out of work for almost a year now.

If you can explain in DETAIL how I can fix this myself---I'm all ears!

As far as backing up the information I have already backed up important files, but I don't look forward to the time it is going to take to get it back to where it is now as far as program settings etc.

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Your only problem is the video card? Is this a laptop or a desktop?

What is wrong with a psi video card? $40.

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I'm not convinced the problem is due to the graphics.

So start at the beginning.

State the exact model and operating system
    Tell us exactly what happens.
    Tell us also what tests you have run ( and the results)
    Does the pc shut off when using a particular program?
    When it shuts off does it go all the way to power down, with no monitor signal? Are the fans still spinning?
    Does it restart by itself?
    Does the problem occur in safe mode?
    Has someone done the internal houskeeping (cleaning)

Perhaps Tim would advise a temperature monitor and memory tester from Major Geeks?

13. rebelyel

rebelyel Private E-2

It is a desktop, but it is the approximate size of a laptop. I was told that since it is so small the video card and motherboard are made together.

14. TimW

As Studiot said ....give more info ...and does it not have pci ports?

15. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

TimW, These HP slimlines are like a laptop in ways, they are real small, 6in wide 13in deep. I dont think a pci card would fit.

Possibly the video is not the problem, check the fan in the case, theres only one, possible cpu over heating and shutting down. ed

16. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Well I'm off to turn into pumpkin here but there's lots of capable geeks on the case now.

Just remember there are many reasons for this pc behaviour, both hardware and software and cleaning so there will be many questions until the culprit is located.

17. TimW

Depending on the model
    {quote]
    Expansion slots
    1 PCI
    [/quote]

But then ...how old and under warrenty and why would the video go out? Did anyone suggest a diff. monitor? (Too lazy and too late to go back and look)

18. rebelyel

rebelyel Private E-2

It is a HP slimline 7220n model running Windows XP.
    When I am working it will suddenly and without warning turn itself off. The monitor then shows that there is no signal input and I have to turn it off by pushing the button. This does not happen while using any particular program but happens randomly. When it turns off the fans stop also, it's as if it is turned off but it's not. It does not restart by itself, I have to turn it back on. It has been cleaned regularly and I don't know if it does it in safe mode or not.

What's a PCI Port?

19. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Dont worry about the pci slot, at this time i dont believe it is your video at all, I believe the processer is overheating and shutting down or the power supply is dying a slow death. If you look on the rear of the pc, where your dialup jack is, that card is setting in a pci slot. ed

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  20. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Rebelyel I guess your are in the warm south?

Modern pcs contain thermal sensors which shut the system down if it overheats. This hopefully prevents permanent damage. These sensors are not as reliable as other pc components and can themselves fail, generating false alarms.

Some simple things to do.

With the power cord removed
    open the cover, panels or whatever
    check yourself for signs of internal dust, obstructions to airflow etc
    run the pc with the panels off and see if the problem persists
    try to get an idea of how warm the metal heatsinks are
    How warm is the air the fan is blowing out
    go into the bios (setup) and see if you can read the temperatures or can set the alarms lower.
    does a lower setting precipitate increased shutdown frequency?

@ED I don't have direct access to one of these, perhaps you can advise on the detail?

21. rebelyel

rebelyel Private E-2

Yes studiot, I am in beautiful Upstate South Carolina. Was I typing with an accent again?:D

When this problem started the first thing I did was to remove the panel and it still shuts down. When I took it the tech guy he put some putty looking stuff under one of the components (processor?) and said that it probably wouldn't help but it surely wouldn't hurt. The air coming out of the unit doesn't seem overly warm and I don't see any obstructions. The unit sits upright on a small stool next to my desk with plenty of airflow on all sides. I use the canned air to remove dust frequently. Please explain EXACTLY how to go into the BIOS and find the temps. I know just enough about the inner workings of a computer to be dangerous!

I really appreciate all of the advice you guys are providing.

22. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK so download core temp

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Core_Temp_d5665.html

See what is reported for your CPU temps

How long will the pc run without shutdown?

Does it shutdown in safemode?
    Get to safemode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key after power up but before Windows starts. Choose safemode from the memory.

If it still shuts down in safemode
    Disconnect the hard drive and let it run showing the screen saying
    'insert boot disk'
    Does it still shut down?

To get to the bios you need to tap a key (usually F2 or Del but watch the screen) as you power up.

You won't harm anything so long as you do not
    'save changes and exit'
    i.e.
    exit without saving changes.

Do you have any way of measuring voltages as the power supply is also a strong suspect?

Normally I would start this sort of investigation by checking that all cables are sound and well connected and all plug in components are well seated. This often sorts problems out. However I assume your tech has already done this?

23. rebelyel

rebelyel Private E-2

pc runs for 5-10 minutes, including start up time. Yes it shuts down in safe mode. I can't download anything, because now I apparently have no modem. Not sure what the problem is with that, I haven't touched the modem. It also smells like something is definitely getting hot when the pc is on. What will happen if I go into the BIOS and it turns itself off before I get a chance to check the temps? Will let you know what happens with disconnecting the hard drive.

24. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I should check the bios first. A sudden power disconnection or shutdown will have no ill effect whilst the system is logged into the bios, (or while windows is not loaded).

If it shuts down within 5 minutes with a burning smell, I would not bother with the hard drive disconnection test. This is designed to prove that the hardware is OK and the problem is software induced.

Something is clearly overheating. As it happens with the side panels open and plenty of cooling available I favour a power supply problem. The power supply in small cases is usually undersized and overstressed. It is all contained in a single box with lots of wires coming out, to each device. It normally contains its own fan, and the box has air vents.
    Is this fan working or obstructed ?
    You often get a build up of dirt inside the box, which can be blown out with compressed air.

Can you see any signs of burning or substances leaking over any of the boards?

Look at this site they have some good pictures of components leaking over circuit boards.

www.badcaps.net

25. rebelyel

rebelyel Private E-2

I went into the BIOS and checked the temps-114F, then the computer promptly shut down.
    Didn't see anything that looked like it was leaking. It seems as if the time that the pc runs after it is turned on is becoming less each time.

26. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Are you sure the temp was only 114deg Farenheit. That about 46degC which is quite normal/cool.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

114degC would definitely account for a burning smell and shutdown.

Are you sure the overheating is in the processor?
    There are several other chips with heatsinks on a laptop motherboard. Some of these heatsinks are glued on. If they overheat, the glue (not thermal compound) tends to soften and the heatsink can come adrift from the chip. I have seen this with ATI graphics chips in particular.

27. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

One of two things is going on, either the heatsink is loose on the cpu or your power supply is going south, if the posted temps are correct, im leaning toward the power supply. ed

28. rebelyel

rebelyel Private E-2

The temp in the BIOS was listed as 114F/46C.
    No I'm not sure what is overheating. I was told it was the video card.
    If it is the power supply, is there something that I can do or should I take it back to the tech?

29. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I can confirm that your audio, graphics and network circuits are integrated onto the main motherboard. This board has only one PCI slot, which carries the modem.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00503102&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=1137823

Depending upon your hardware skills you should be able to source a replacement for either the motherboard or the power supply from Ebay or similar with a second hand unit at reasonable cost, maybe $50 tops.

It remains to locate the source of the problem which I am now convinced is hardware related. Your power supply connects via a standard ATX 24 pin connector. Can you borrow one from another pc and temporarily use it to run the pc and see if the shutdown still occurs? The temporary psu does not need to be the same physical size or shape, only greater than 250 watts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds