Information I can't find

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bliz0508, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Bliz0508

Bliz0508 Private E-2

I'm trying to install a new GeForce graphics card and it is not working. The manufacturer asks for these things from me - I don't know.
    I need to know the maximum wattage output and the amount of amperage supported by +12 rails - How many rails - What the voltages are running at in real time HUH

2. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Can you give us some more info about your computer? Or did you or a friend build it? All the info you're being asked about relates to the capabilities and specs of the power supply inside your computer. Since you've apparently already installed the new graphics card you are comfortable poking around inside the computer case. Or do you not really know what you're doing?

First, of course, be sure to switch off the power supply (usually a black rocker switch on the back of the case just above or below the power cord socket) and unplug the power cord from the case power socket.

Then, once you removed the side panel, be sure to ground yourself to discharge any static electricity before touching anything inside the case, removing anything from the case (for example, pulling the old graphics card out of its slot), or plugging anything in inside the case (for example, pushing the new graphics card into its slot). In addition, unless you use a grounding strap to insure you remain continuously grounded (very few of us here, I suspect use grounding straps) be sure not to rub your feet around on carpet or otherwise do anything that's likely to generate static electricity as a static discharge inside the case can destroy computer chips.

Your power supply should look like a medium size almost square box completely encased in sheet metal (most often gray but sometimes black or other colors). Most or all of the info you need should be printed on the power supply or stamped into the sheet metal. If it's not then see if you can find the brand name and model number you may be able to use a search engine to find the info you need about your particular make and model of power supply.

Let us know if you need more help.

3. Bliz0508

Bliz0508 Private E-2

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but I'm not afraid. Thank you very much for the information, I will open it back up and see what I can find. I did not know about the static so I guess I'm grateful that I do not have carpet. Thanks for the extra info - from One Appreciative Mom

4. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Sorry for this (largely duplicate) post but was attempting to edit my first post and time for the edit expired and I thought some of this additional info might be important so cut and pasted my entire edit in as an additional post.

Admins please note: np if you wish to delete my earlier/first post in this thread.

Can you give us some more info about your computer? Brand name and model, operating system/version of Windows, CPU, previous graphics card (did it work up until you replaced it with the new card?) for starters. Or did you or a friend build it? If that's so, then tell us what hardware is installed in it as I suggested for a name brand computer.

All the info you're being asked for by the graphics card vendor relates to the capabilities and specs of the power supply inside your computer. Since you've apparently already installed the new graphics card I assume you are comfortable poking around inside the computer case. Or do you not really know what you're doing? If that's so don't be embarrassed but do let us know what your level of hardware tinkering experience is.

Before working inside your computer you should first, of course, be sure to switch off the power supply (usually a black rocker switch on the back of the case just above or below the power cord socket) and then, after a few seconds, unplug the power cord from the case power socket.

Then, once you removed the side panel, be sure to ground yourself to discharge any static electricity before touching anything inside the case, removing anything from the case (for example, pulling the old graphics card out of its slot), or plugging anything in inside the case (for example, pushing the new graphics card into its slot). In addition, unless you use a grounding strap to insure you remain continuously grounded (very few of us here, I suspect, use grounding straps), be sure not to rub your feet around on carpet or otherwise do anything that's likely to generate static electricity as a static discharge inside the case can destroy computer chips.

Your power supply should look like a medium size almost square box completely encased in sheet metal (most often gray but sometimes black or other colors) having a number of vents or holes (approx 1/4 inch in diameter). Furthermore it will most likely be at the very top rear of the case (though rarely the power supply may be at the bottom rear). If you look closely you'll see that the socket you plug the computer's power cord into is actually a socket on the back of the power supply that fits through a hole in the back panel of the case.

Most or all of the info you need should be printed on a sticker on the power supply or possibly stamped right into the sheet metal. If it's not then see if you can at least find the brand name and model number of the power supply. Once you have that info you may be able to plug that into a search engine to find the detailed specs requested by the graphics card vendor.

Let us know if you need more help. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

The Geforce cards that started using extra power connectors were the 8XXX series which take at least one 6 pin plug. The main thing here is how strong is your power supply and since you have no idea (no insult) I'd guess it's most likely inadequate.

Age also has a marked effect on power supply capabilities just like it does on us. Please post the card's specifics and we can then tell what you need as to power.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds