infrared printing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by watchntv, Nov 20, 2011.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I have a HP 3055 printer
    It's upstairs and I'm down stairs, I drag my laptop upstairs, connect the USB cord and print.
    Is there a way to use infrared to send a signal to print? or a way to make printing easier, without moving the printer or laptop?
    I do feel silly asking this
    [​IMG]

2. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Infrared would be line of sight. So you'd need to drag your laptop upstairs anyways and the IR communications is rather weak compared to USB, even USB 1.1. I think what you'd want is a wireless print server if you don't have a desktop close enough to it to run a USB cable. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=93949&CatId=206

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Agreed. Some of the D-Link NAS solutions also offer print server solutions for nit much more but you would need to have some SATA drives kicking round or you would need to buy one to get any additional functionality.

If you dont have any spare drives I would go with the solution below.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That printer has a built in Ethernet port. Use that.

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Infrared is line of sight just like your TV remote is, if it hasn't been said already.

7. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Plus, with infrared, the printer would need an infrared receiver - which it doesn't. By far, the cheapest, most reliable, and most secure method is to use the Ethernet connection.

8. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

you need one of these
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00848362.pdf
    although there badged for hp printers they work with more or less any make of usb printer
    staples was selling them off very cheaply a while back it might be worth checking out

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds