Inquiry about installing ATX Power Supply for Pentium II pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inyou, Aug 20, 2008.

1. inyou

inyou Private E-2

About to get a power supply for a Pentium II pc that I'm gonna put together. I have a hard drive already, my question is the previous power supply that was in the case was an ATX power supply with a power supply fan cover attached to it. If I just simply get a ATX power supply without the fan cover, will the Pentium II processor still get enough cooling air to it to not overheat eventhough the fan cover isn't hovered overtop blowing directly on it from the ps? The Pentium II processor is the 1 that stands up on top of the motherboard ........ Give me your earliest response & I really appreciate your help.

2. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

It might be ok but I would add a 2d fan for good mesure

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Are you sure that the fan in the psu cooled the processor?

The package format you are talking about for the pentium II is called slot1.

Processors in this range either had a pretty massive heatsink or a small integral fan fitted to the heatsink of the slot1 package.

These fans were designed to run from a three pin connector on the motherboard.

You could alsways fit one of these. Simple screw it to the heatsink with some self tappers. Make sure it blows on to the heatsink.

4. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

studiot yes I have 2 pcs that are setup like that the exaust cooled the cpu

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds