Inquiry as to the Proper Use of the System File Checker

Discussion in 'Software' started by RK233, Dec 21, 2006.

1. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

I recently had some malware on my computer that I think has been removed. I would like to run the System File Checker and the CHKDSK utilities "properly" to ensure my system is not corrupted.

The dilemma is I have Windows XP and have since obtained many updates via the Microsoft Update automatic updater. This includes the SP1 and the SP2 updates.

I have tried reading the usage instructions on the Microsoft Knowledge base but I still do not understand how to use it.

I appreciate any assistance or direction to a reference that could help me.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ina nutshell, SFc will require your CD. It will use your CD, along with copies of updated files from your hotfixes and service packs to verify the integrity of your system files.

Note, only critical files are checked.

You start it from a cmd prompt.

sfc /scannow

It will ask for your CD. Assuming you dont have registry issues (which can be fixed), it will populate your dllcache with files from the CD, then scan.

That said...its pointless.

the reason being is, windows file protection is always on, and always watching. If a file isn't kosher that it comes across, you will get a windows file protection message requiring your CD, provided the file it needs is on the CD. Other wise, it does it without any user intervention.

So sfc is really an extra step that is already performed automatically by windows file protection.

Chkdsk is used to fix your filesystem, and not much more than that.

You start it from a cmd prompt too, within Windows.

chkdsk /r

You will need to answer yes to the prompts ensuing, and it will be scheduled on your next reboot.

This is the lengthy version of chkdsk, so don't expect it to finish in anything less than 5 minutes to 2 hours, depending on your hard disk size, and whether it finds damage vs. the amount of damage it finds and fixes.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2006
  3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

*cough*

I meant to say chkdsk /r :)

4. Hoth

Hoth Private E-2

XP/ Simple Tech 250 external hard drive

I'd like to run Chkdsk on a large external hard drive but am unsure of what an open handle is. Here is the prompt:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

Not too sure how then to remount the drive. Thanks in advance

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Please start your own thread in regards to your issue.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds