Insalling Printer Drivers on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lorainman, Mar 1, 2008.

1. lorainman

lorainman Private E-2

I have recently purchased a Dell computer running on windows vista. I tried to install my Lexmark x6150 printer with no success. I went to their web site and downloaded the driver for the printer on the vista platform, but it still doesn't work. I tried following their tech person's advice but I don't think he knows what he's doing. Can someone help?

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

First, I suggest
    Start, right click My Computer, left click manage, left click Device Manager- (I am not in my Vista partition right now, but I think its still called Device manager)
    Double Left click on the printer, this will bring up properties - then click uninstall driver, and shut down.
    Unplug the printer before you restsrt, and then restart, and when settled, install the Vista driver for the Lexmark. It will probably search for the printer, when it wants to find it, just connect the printer when it is looking for it/asks you to. Then allow it time to find it and instal it. You will probably get Vista finding it, but just let it run.
    Then, you may have to restart for the drivers to load completely.

3. lorainman

lorainman Private E-2

Ok, I finally was able to get through the installation process, but it still won't print. If you open the printer folder it's there, but listed as offline. Any more suggestions?

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Mine is an epsom R200, and I checked in its property section, in Vista, and I do not have an off- line tick box - is there one in yours? If so, then first try unticking, then apply, .
    Also in mine , in advanced, in properties, the box always available is ticked.
    In the ports section, usb virtual port is selected for my printer.
    In the security part of printer properties, mine is ticked for printer only in the everyone box, - the manage box, only, is ticked for creator, -- for myself, and the administrative account, all three are ticked (special permissions is greyed out, as I have not set any)
    Check through your printer properties, through printer, in control panel.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds