Insert Removable Media - Prompt

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I'm occasionally getting the following message flagged on my monitor;

Insert Removable Media
    "Windows backup needs a CD\DVD or USB drive to continue. Insert the required one".

I don't know why it's prompting me. I was given 4 CD's labelled, "Compaq Recovery" when I bought the laptop and had it in for some bloatware cleanup. I don't understand what the computer is asking me to do. I haven't been able to cancel it, or do I need it? I don't own a USB drive either.

Laptop:
    Windows 7, Intel Celeron Processor 900 @ 2.20GHz, 2GB RAM, Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Purchased December 2010

Thank you.
    :)

Attached Files:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you inserted every disk that came with the computer and clicked continue? What was the end result?

3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

The laptop has been running great (other than it can be slow compared to my desktop, but it's just a cheapie laptop to use away from home). I haven't had to insert any of the 4 "Compaq Recovery Discs". The disks were created when I had a computer shop clear off all the trial/bloatware after purchasing the laptop.

I don't know why this prompt is coming up, it's been doing so for a long time, but only appears once in a while. The only thing I can think of, is that I tinkered too much clicking on stuff learning about the laptop (my first one) when I first got it.

I don't know how to get rid of the prompt, anything I click on, it won't let me, it loops back around to this. Do I need to play along with this prompt and allow it to create whatever it is that it's trying to do, eventhough the computer shop created recovery disks?
    :-o

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think the key is that it says "Windows" backup. It doesn't seem to be related to your Compaq recovery discs. It does seem as if it is asking for previously written recovery discs rather than blank discs to write to. That is odd but I don't think it has anything to do with the Compaq discs.

Type backup into the Search box and when Backup and Restore comes up in the list, choose that and see if it tells you anything about what it might be set to do. Maybe it is on some type of schedule? If you don't have any need for Windows backup you could just turn it off. (I don't use Windows Backup so I can't be specific. Mine is turned off.)

5. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thank you. It was on a schedule that I was able to turn off.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds