Inside The Amd-athlon-xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-068c403e2d, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

I was planning to get the AMD 2700+.Now I am a little confused.Somebody says the Barton core is better.Is the barton core stable?How important is the FSB?And the L2 Cache?Does AMD sell integrated memory for the XP?If not what kind Memory should I get?
    When we Benchmark te CPU we look at computation and Video editing.I want to know if anybody has tested the processor on running multiple processes of differnt type?
    eg.If I run a computaional task,with a video editing task, and use explorer extensively and burn a disk at the same time,will the processor lock up?I am assuming that the rest of the system is up to it.And the total processor requirements are satisfied my question is only if the multiple tasks can intefere and lock up?
    I want to know the name of the model that performs best under my requirements.ie.multiple tasks.

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

I own the athlon 2700 and it is capable of multiple processes now on video editing it does the job and you can do some light multitasking while doing video editing it depends on how much you do any processor will tend to slow a little while doing intensive video editing plus several other processes but as far as locking up it never has on me but if you are wanting to do all of what you said and still want to stay with an amd processor I would recommend maybe a processor with a bigger L2 cache and since your not going to overclock the 3200 with the 400fsb could be an option. The Fsb is the speed that pretty much your whole system will run at

PCGuide - Ref - System Cache - Function and Operation

3. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

CHeck these two links out.They give an in depth description of FSB and L2 cache. MY 2700 has been a good chip. I have overclocked to 3200 speeds could go more but i am just waiting to get an sckt 939 64. It benches right up there with the 3200 but that extra L2 would help out.

What is FSB? Front Side Bus Info

4. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

How much video editing will you be doing the P4's with HT are good at video editing it just depends on how much your planning on doing

5. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Thanx jamcgriff

So the P4 HT is better for video editing?What is the AMD good at?
    I do a lot of video editing.

6. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

gaming and everything else. now the amd 64 fx is also good at video editing

7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Until the AMD 64's hit the market, Intel clearly held the title for best video encoding. Meanwhile, AMD was superior in gaming, and a lot cheaper.

now, with Athlon64, AMD has closed the gap on intel in terms of audio and video encoding-- while remaining cheaper.

if you arent planning on going Athlon64, then a Pentium 4 would be better for video editing/encoding. The AthlonXP's are great chips, but noticeably slower in that field.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds