Insperion 1525 WiFi Issue Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noodlesninja, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Noodlesninja

Noodlesninja Private E-2

Hello,

I am trying to help out a friend that is having a WiFi issue.

Her laptop works on WiFi anywhere else, just not at home. It use to work there but has not for at least 3 months.

Other wireless devices work fine.

Have tried quite a bit of troubleshooting but coming up empty.

One thing that I find odd is that I am unable to release/renew the WiFi adapter, it seems to always try to do the lan adapter then stop. Is there a reason for this? Or a way to just release the WiFi adapter?

The router is a netgear, we have tried with no firewalls and nothing has worked. She is going to try safe mode when she gets home today from work.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is this Vista laptop at and is it fully updated?

When you try and release the adapter what message do you get?

When you say no firewalls (looking at the plural here), what firewalls are installed?

Safe Mode with networking is a good idea to try first and some other info is HERE to try.

As wifi works in that Laptop everywhere else, then its likely not the laptops hardware or wifi at fault, what it could be is the connection in the connection manager and if she is using the Build in manager in Vista then this guide HERE is good as it has pics.

So delete the profile and then connect again with passcode

3. Noodlesninja

Noodlesninja Private E-2

Everything is up to date.

When ipconfig /release is ran it says "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Which I take as it is trying to release the ethernet port, and not the wifi card. Then it just stops it doesn't attempt to do any other connections.

The firewalls installed are the basic windows one, and norton.

Thanks for the links, this will give us some things to try!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds