Inspiron 8600 LCD is acting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by merfoard, Nov 12, 2007.

1. merfoard

merfoard Private E-2

According to the folks at Dell I need a new motherboard. I'll put it to you here first. I get error messgaes when running the diags either from the CD or from F12. Here are the symptoms that prompted the diags. My screen boots in a dim mode. from the dell logo on it looks like the screen is in a power saver mode. Both on AC adapter as well as battery power. All power saver modes are off. If I adjust the angle of the screen, it'll go blank sometimes or other times the images on the screen are shaky like they are vibrating. If I type, the screen goes back and forth between full backlight and dim backlight. Sometimes it even gibberishes the words on the screen to look like another language. If I bumb it just right, the screen will boounce back to normal. If I bump too hard, the display goes out. At reboot, I get a "two beep" signal and no boot. I have opened it up to check connections, I have replaced the LCD with a new one (thinking it might be the inverter or backlight) but still the same behavior. That's when I got Dell online to help me troubleshoot and they said definitely motherboard issies. Any thoughts before I invest further? Thanks folks!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I can't believe I'm saying this, BUT: I'd have to agree with Dell tech support ( :eek: There's a first time for everything! ;) ). If a new LCD didn't fix the problem, it's probably the motherboard. There's a chance the AC adapter isn't strong enough; maybe hook it to a multimeter to be sure it's kicking out the correct amps, volts, and watts. If any of those are low, you would see a dim display.

3. merfoard

merfoard Private E-2

thanks so much. I know I am loathe to go with tech support usually as well and it took three visits over three days to end up with this diagnosis. BTW the adapter is also new. So, when I get the new mobo which of the components from my existing mobo would I transfer over? The hard drive, the battery, the video card, the wireless card, the back-up battery. Anything else come to mind? I have a service manual but it only discusses removal and replacement, not the nuts and bolts of what stays and what goes. According to Dell I need mobo G2515. Is that the dell part number? or the model number? When I search ebay I want to make sure I am getting only what I need. The plastics and components are all good, just the mobo seels on its way out. Thanks again for the advice!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds