Install English Windows XP SP2 over Korean Windows XP SP1???

Discussion in 'Software' started by turk_cmr, Jan 21, 2006.

1. turk_cmr

turk_cmr Private E-2

Hello,

I have a computer with a Windows XP Service Pack 1 in Korean. As you can guess, this is really annoying and troublesome.

Maybe more than a year ago, I got a CD for the Service Pack 2 in English, straight from Microsoft. I emailed them to ask wheter I could install this English version over my Korean version of XP, but they didn't seem to know and told me they would email later with an answer. After waiting for a few days, I emailed again and they told me to check with another place, and then to make a call somewhere, but I didn't bother. They didn't seem to really know their stuff.

Now, I'd really like to use XP in English, even partially, so would it be okay to install the Service Pack 2 in English over my Korean Service Pack 1?

Also, is Service Pack 2 worth installing?

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Yes, SP2 is a critical update that all computers running XP must have for security. It has many security features that SP1 doesnt have.

Just insert the disc and it should install with no problem.

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Is your GUI in Korean? Then your running a Multilanguage Version. Look for a file titled "Muisetup.exe" (think you can try it as a run command), it would allow you to add/remove and set default languages. Microsoft may be hesitant to give you an answer, Multilanguage Version are only avail thru MS Volume Licensing Programs.

4. turk_cmr

turk_cmr Private E-2

Couldn't find any file named Muisetup.exe, tried to find it also with *uisetup.exe but found nothing.

By the way, what's a GUI?

The reason why my XP is in Korean is because the computer was bought in Korea.

5. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Private E-2

It stands for Graphical User Interface.

6. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

That would do it, then you wouldn't have the Muisetup file. Didn't mean imply any accusations. I think the only way to get things in English you would need an new copy of XP.

7. turk_cmr

turk_cmr Private E-2

Hey Jerkyking,

Don't worry about it; I didn't see you post as any kind of accusation. I was just specifying why my XP is in Korean, so no one would be mislead as what I am trying to do.

8. turk_cmr

turk_cmr Private E-2

Finally, I tried to install Windows XP SP2 using the English version CD I got from Micrsoft. Everything seemed to go well until the files were all extracted from the CD and the installation program told me it couldn't install Windows XP SP2 because it wasn't using the same language as the version of XP SP1 I have on my computer.

So, there is my answer!

9. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

turk_cmr,

Try to download SP2 from Windows Updates, if you can't then order the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft. There is a Korean version here for order, it's free.

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds