Install Problem - Yahoo Messenger - Win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcentirek, Oct 13, 2011.

1. mcentirek

mcentirek Private E-2

I have a new computer with Windows 7 Professional installed on it. I have tried many different ways to install Yahoo messenger, including most if not all suggestions that I have found on this site. My latest attempt finally got me past the point where the install usually hangs, and I now have an error message appearing on my desktop, but I have no idea what it means. I hope that you can provide some help.

This is what I did that finally resulted in the Yahoo Messenger Installer program actually installing something on my hard drive. (All previous attempts resulted in a program stall with nothing installing on the HDD at all):

I downloaded the Yahoo Messenger installer from the link: http://majorgeeks.com/Yahoo_Messenger_d4235.html
    I right clicked the icon, went to properties and under Privilege Level I selected Run as Administrator for all users. I then double clicked the icon to start the install, the program installed the usual desktop icon and then a window with a error message appeared (please see attached screen shot).

Any suggestions as to how I might get Yahoo Messenger to work ?

Thanks,
    Kay

Attached Files:

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What happens if you attempt to install Pidgin? What firewall & a/v are you running? Is your system up to date in the aspect, that all Windows updates have been installed to date? Here is the Web version of YIM http://messenger.yahoo.com/web/

3. mcentirek

mcentirek Private E-2

Thanks for your response Brownizs. I was able to install Pidgen with no problem, and I'm trying to learn to use it... however, I really would like to be able to install Yahoo IM. I am running AVG anti-virus 2012 on my computer and I am simply using the Microsoft firewall that comes standard with the OS. I have installed (or attempted to installl) all updates suggested by auto update within MS Windows 7, however I noticed that there are three updates that continue to fail to install. They are as follows:

Security Update for MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package SP 1
    Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 SP 2
    Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 SP 2

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds