Install WindowsXP to new HD + Intel D865GBF

Discussion in 'Software' started by jfowyx, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jfowyx

jfowyx Private E-2

Hi Guys!

Can anybody help me with a problem I am facing?

I have 2 PC; one is an AMD(P3) having 250GB Hard Disk and the second is a Intel(P4) having 20GB HD

Over the weekend I swapped the HD so that the Intel now uses the 250GB HD.I also did a first installation with formating the c-drive on both the PC.
    The AMD is running fine with the 20GB HD, but the Intel is showing problems.

On the Intel( D865GBF), the BIOS picks up the HD(as primary master). After a few minutes of start-up(after the XP-SP1 first installation) there is as screen that indicates to to select boot drive or insert boot disk.

Both HD are made by SeaGate.
    To check is there is anything wrong with the 250GB HD, i installed it to the AMD(with a fresh XP OS) and it work fine. I also tried it to one of my friends PC and it works fine.
    I then placed the 20GB on the Intel and did first installation and it work

Can some one help me identify the problem to why the Intel board doesnt fully run the XP OS?

2. jfowyx

jfowyx Private E-2

Hi Digitalocksmith !

I did a NTFS format and checked that the HD is present from the BIOS.
    Quick question!
    Could the firmware on the HDD cause anything like this?
    The 250GB HDD is a v3.07 where as the 20GB HDD is v3.03.
    Do you think I would have to upgrade the BIOS version?

3. jfowyx

jfowyx Private E-2

Hi

The BIOS does see(pre & post insallation) the HDD and the size of the disk.After the format, I did a clean install of windows.
    I can see the copied OS files when doing a recovery under "c:\windows" so I know that the XP installation does copy the required file to the HDD but after the 15sec restart of XP, it doesnot bring up the XP GUI to continue the installation.

4. jfowyx

jfowyx Private E-2

More info:
    the error message is "Reboot and select the proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device".
    I am using PATA(IDE) cables to connect the HDD to the motherboard.

5. jfowyx

jfowyx Private E-2

Hi,

I have it set out as this on the BIOS:
    Boot sequence(1) = HDD
    Boot sequence (2) = CD

On start up, it doesnt pick-up that there is OS(which is true because of formatting) on the HD, so it starts to boot from the CD. After XP preinstallation, it starts again from the CD. I then checked the boot sequence and as saved it is HDD first.

I am trying to figure out what I am missing on?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You should not have the CD in the drive when it reboots otherwise you keep starting the reinstall over and over and over until you remove the cd.

7. jfowyx

jfowyx Private E-2

Hi Plodr

I tried removing the CD from the CD-ROM after the pre-install.
    But the initial message still appears;"Reboot and select the proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

The BIOS has boot form HDD1 then CD as the sequence.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds