Installation of additional SATA hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charward, Jul 27, 2013.

1. charward

charward Private E-2

Hi, I have an HP A6528p desktop computer that I want to add an additional hard drive. The only disk in the system now is a SATA 3 drive. If the system had an IDE drive I would know what to do. You just set the jumpers and connect the correct connector to the drive, but with the SATA cable there is not another connector on the cable. At least not that I can see. Will someone tell me how to proceed? Do I need to buy an additional SATA cable and connect it between the new drive and the motherboard or what? If so where do you connect on the motherboard?
    Thanks,
    Charward

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. charward

charward Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks for the link. It is helpful but it did not show where to connect the new SATA cable to the motherboard. Where would I look for this information?
    Later,
    Charward

4. charward

charward Private E-2

Hi,
    I looked more closely at the pictures and see the area of the motherboard, but still which one of the connections do I use?
    Later,
    Charward

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Any one of the three remaining inside the red square labeled with the number 2 on the picture.

6. charward

charward Private E-2

Thanks, I'll try it out as soon as I get a cable.
    Later,
    Charward

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds