installed IE8 I started having lots of problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Erika Danielle, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erika Danielle

Erika Danielle Private E-2

After I installed IE8 I started having lots of problems, one being that my chrome kept crashing. I was told to turn off my computer every night instead of leaving it on standby, but it still crashes when I turn it on in the morning. I have uninstalled and reinstalled chrome about 5 times in the past two weeks! :cry

2. w3d

w3d Private E-2

Re: "Do not turn off or unplug your computer; it will turn off automatically." (6+ Hr

I have IE8 and Chrome and both appear stable. Try disabling all browser plugins/extensions - it could be an issue with a particular plugin.

Leaving your computer on standby should be OK? However, I have found that leaving the computer on for extended periods, with several apps open (ie. browsers with lots of tabs) the machine will tend to run slower over time - this may be due to certain apps leaking memory/resources?

3. Erika Danielle

Re: "Do not turn off or unplug your computer; it will turn off automatically." (6+ Hr

When you say to disable all plugins and extensions, are you referring to all the gadgets I have on my igoogle page? I usually leave itunes on standby so I can meditate first thing in the morning and igoogle so I can quickly see my calendar and to do list as I'm rushing around in the morning. Are those OK to leave on standby all nite?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. w3d

w3d Private E-2

The plugins/extensions/add-ons within IE8 are specific to your Internet Browser (Google Toolbar, Anti Virus Safe Search, Java Plugin etc. etc.) and are nothing to do with your iGoogle (web) page. You can access your browser add-ons via "Tools > Manage Add-ons". Problematic browser extensions can cause all sorts of problems.

However, now that you mention iGoogle - that too has been known to cause problems. I used to use iGoogle a lot with FF2 but went through a phase of many browser crashes (I also had many tabs open) so ended up stopping using it. Do you only get problems when you use iGoogle? What about iTunes compatibility?! (Sorry, I don't use iTunes).

5. Erika Danielle

Hi w3d,
    The link you sent to my email didn't connect me with the reply you sent so I hope you can figure out where my reply belongs. Here's the reply you sent me:

The plugins/extensions/add-ons within IE8 are specific to your Internet Browser (Google Toolbar, Anti Virus Safe Search, Java Plugin etc. etc.) and are nothing to do with your iGoogle (web) page. You can access your browser add-ons via "Tools > Manage Add-ons". Problematic browser extensions can cause all sorts of problems.

However, now that you mention iGoogle - that too has been known to cause problems. I used to use iGoogle a lot with FF2 but went through a phase of many browser crashes (I also had many tabs open) so ended up stopping using it. Do you only get problems when you use iGoogle? What about iTunes compatibility?! (Sorry, I don't use iTunes).

I have been using chrome for a long time (it's my favorite browser) and open many tabs at one time without any problems. I added igoogle a few months ago and while setting it up I did have problems with some of the gadgets not working so I deleted them and installed other ones. After that I didn't have any problems with chrome or igoogle until after I installed IE8.

Then chrome started crashing and when I started using firefox, I could no longer edit my igoogle calendar thru firefox and some of the functions in the google docs wouldn't work. I had to reinstall chrome to edit my calendar and it worked great until I turned off my computer that nite and then found that it had crashed again when I turned it on the next morning. I haven't noticed any problems with itunes so I left itunes and igoogle on standby on firefox all nite and didn't notice any problems this morning.

I don't know if this problem is related to my chrome crashing, but when I use firefox the video playbacks will often freeze for a long time before resuming the video. When I tried to open safari yesterday it seemed like it had also crashed so I closed it. When I tried it again later it opened up. Also, I have been advised to do a RESTORE POINT before reinstalling chrome again, but other people tell me it's not necessary and I will lose a lot of info if I do it. What is your advise?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  6. w3d

w3d Private E-2

(Copied from thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=197043)

Are you refering to the Google Toolbar, as opposed to iGoogle? Just wondering, as you don't really 'add' iGoogle - it is a webpage you visit like any other.

It kinda sounds as if you might have an application running in the background that is using up a lot of resources... or your browser sessions are...?

iGoogle can use a lot of resources, it has certainly crashed my browser before and I know others who have had similar issues with iGoogle, but apart from that I'm really not sure...

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Your start menu > accessories > system tools contains an entry Internet Explorer (no add-ons). This is the way temporarily to disable IE 'plugins and extensions'. If that seems to have fixed the problem go into Internet Options > Programs > Manage Add-ons and start adding them back one at a time until you find the troublemaker.

8. Erika Danielle

What are you referring to when you say "resources"? I haven't had any problems with my google toolbar, that I know of. I was talking about adding the gadgets to my igoogle page.

I wanted to test your experiences on my computer so I left igoogle and itunes on standby all nite. When I tried to turn on my computer this morning I found that it was frozen ... it wouldn't even restart with ctrl-alt-delete. I had to turn it off and reboot. I then went thru all my igoogle gadgets and deleted the ones I don't use very often and will put it on standby tonite to see if it freezes up my computer again.

If my computer freezes up again I plan to have my friend help me decide which plug-ins and extensions to delete tomorrow. Since I'm now using firefox and safari, do I need to delete the plug-in/extensions on all my browsers or just on internet explorer?

I have also been told that these problems may be caused by Windows being corrupted. Do you think this could be the problem?

Do you have any other ideas?

9. w3d

w3d Private E-2

"resources" is often used to refer to anything that is limited, so rather generally (in the computer sense) I'm refering to anything that is limited on the computer... RAM, file handles, windows handles, graphics... the more that's used the slower your computer gets. (This is not a technical definition, RAM for instance is not really a 'resource')

So, without IE8 running your computer still crashes? In that case it certainly sounds possible that it's an iGoogle issue?! How many gadgets do you have enabled in iGoogle - across how many tabs?

10. Erika Danielle

I have 17 gadgets running on my igoogle page ... I deleted 5-6 of my least used ones last nite. There aren't any tabs on igoogle ...they're on chrome and I usually have 4-6 tabs open at one time ... occasionally more.

After deleting the gadgets I put my computer on standby for the nite and it opened up fine this morning ... you must be right re igoogle being the culprit.

Do I still need to delete plug-ins/extensions?

Is it safe for me to reinstall chrome now or do I need to delete more gadgets first? If so, how many?

11. w3d

w3d Private E-2

iGoogle itself does have tabs. (I think the default is just 1 tab called 'Home' - although may be this can be deleted?!) They used to be arranged across the top, below the Google search box, but some time ago they changed and were arranged down the left had side. You can add more tabs by selecting "Add a tab" from the drop down menu on one of the other tabs. 17 may be a lot to have on 1 page/tab. I have 9 tabs with 3 or 4 gadgets on each. Gadgets on the hidden tabs don't appear to be processed, until they are viewed(?)

You should be able to temporarily disable plug-ins/extensions within the browser without having to delete them. A kind of 'safe mode'.

Do you need to reinstall Chrome?

12. Erika Danielle

I can't find any option to hide any of the gadgets, neither in the left-hand column, nor on the gadget itself. The closest I can get is to minimize the gadget ... would this do any good?

Also, my computer crashed again this morning. I don't understand why some days it crashes and some days it doesn't. Tonite I'm going to just leave the itunes on standby and see if my computer crashes tomorrow morning ... unless you have a better idea.

13. w3d

w3d Private E-2

Gadgets in your iGoogle page? I don't think they can be hidden I'm afraid. Before I was referring to temporarily disabling plugins within the browser itself.

Not sure... it's possible. If minimizing the gadget actually 'turns off' the gadget temporarily (?)

Yes, leave it on standby with a minumum set of applications open. To rule out the possibility that it might not be to do with iGoogle after all?!

I rarely use 'standby mode' on my desktop PC. Is it possible that some machines have a problem with 'standby'?! I'm sure I've heard problems with machines failing to come out of 'standby' (?)

14. Erika Danielle

Not sure... it's possible. If minimizing the gadget actually 'turns off' the gadget temporarily (?) How would I find out?

Yes, leave it on standby with a minumum set of applications open. To rule out the possibility that it might not be to do with iGoogle after all?!

I got really frustrated with firefox last nite so I reinstalled chrome ... they made a lot of changes to their desktop since I last uninstalled it (about 4 days ago). I was hopeful that it wouldn't crash, but it did when I turned it on this morning ... the good thing is that itunes and igoogle (before I uninstalled chrome) opened up just fine. I don't understand why igoogle opened up in chrome, but nothing else did!? :confused I turned chrome and igoogle off last nite, leaving only itunes on standby for my test. I have uninstalled chrome. Is this a lost cause and I need to have a professional take over?

I rarely use 'standby mode' on my desktop PC. Is it possible that some machines have a problem with 'standby'?! I'm sure I've heard problems with machines failing to come out of 'standby' (?)[/QUOTE]

I only started having problems with standby after I updated to IE8, which I have uninstalled. Since then I have had nothing but problems with my chrome! Could IE8 have done something to chrome?

15. w3d

w3d Private E-2

I have a 'random spider walking around Gadget'... if I minimize and then expand the Gadget, the spider is restarted - which would imply it was inactive when minimized. Whether this is down to the particular gadget or iGoogle gadgets in general I don't know.

Internet Explorer is a lot more integral to the whole OS than other browsers. It's quite possible that certain system files (used by other applications) are updated as well during the install of IE8, and if so, this could impact other applications - I'm guessing.

16. Erika Danielle

I tested with itunes on standby again last nite. My computer was frozen this morning and I had to reboot manually. Do you think it's time I called a professional to fix my computer or is there something else I can try first?

17. w3d

w3d Private E-2

Is it only a problem when you put the machine in standby? Do you need to put it on standby? Why not just switch the machine off at night?

18. Erika Danielle

I takes too long to boot up ... itunes takes forever and that's where my meditation tapes are located. I've tried moving some of them to real player, but I can't get them to work on real player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds