Installed Memory vs. Reported Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sidles1123, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Sidles1123

Sidles1123 Private E-2

Hey,
    So I got my parents a new computer a while ago, but i finally got some time to sit around and play w/ it a bit. Only problem is, it runs a lot slower than expected, even though its pretty decent. So i checked for spyware and all that jazz, but the only thing that i noticed that seems out of order is that it reports there being a total of 191mb of RAM installed, as opposed to the 256MB that is in there. Is there any way to fix this? Or is it normal for it to report so little ram even though there's a lot more installed in there. I'm not sure if its two sticks of 128 or just one 256 stick that's in there (how would i find that out short of cracking it open?), but yea that's all I remember because i bought this a long time ago. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
    Later.

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Are you looking at the ram count when the system boots up...or are you looking at it in windows!!

Roger

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

It is quite possible that if that PC has onboard graphics rather than an actual graphics card, as onboard graphics share the main memory its using the 65mb thats missing.

Is this a pre built pc from the likes of Dell, HP etc? you can check the specs in either the manual or online at the companys website.

4. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

The latest onboard graphics from Intel that Dell and other companies are using is using is 64mb

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Download, install, and run EVEREST
    Everest Home Edition. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    Then open up Motherboard--->Chipset.
    Number of memory slots and size of RAM installed, in each slot, is displayed.

Work your way through all the other tabs, like Display, Multimedia, etc., for lots of other info about your PC. Hope this helps you find out what is in your PC, without opening it up. Bazza

===

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Honestly! .... I didnt want to confuse the math so left it as is and just did rough calculation. If I'd have said it was a difference of 64mb then someone would have said you missed a megabyte, dammed if I do and dammed if I dont ;)

Sidles1123 ~ Using bazza's great suggestion of Everest will give you info of whats inside your PC, without the need to open her up.

nota bene... In a funny mood so if something above irks you get over it its not personal, just theirs always someone who want to split hairs over trivial matters

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

"theirs"

there is* :D

Silder - you might consider getting diskeeper pro or O & O defragger as the built in defragger doesn't really do the job

8. Sidles1123

Sidles1123 Private E-2

thanks for all the help guys, ill check into what you guys suggested and see what comes up.

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or diskeeper lite, which is free:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

My personal favorite is PerfectDisk, which seems a bit faster than O&O, though O&O defrag has a nice tool that allows you to shutdown the machine after a regular and an offline scan (automated). Yes, Perfect disk can do the same, but doesn't shutdown the machine afterwords.

PerfectDisk (not free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=268

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds