Installed windows, but now its all weird

Discussion in 'Software' started by brownmoses, Oct 7, 2006.

1. brownmoses

brownmoses Private E-2

I put in a new hard drive, finally got windows installed (Win ME) and it seems mostly ok. However, the display is all small in the middle of the screen and it looks all crappy (more than it should). I assume I need drivers or something but I can't figure it out at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop. I went to Dell's support site and couldn't figure anything out from there.

2. brownmoses

brownmoses Private E-2

Ok, no I havn't put any drivers on yet; not sure how to do that. All the hardware save the hard drive is what came with the system. If I look into the display properties, it is set at 16 colors, and the lowest resolution and won't allow me to change those.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you choose the monitor ....display properties ...you may need a driver /install cd for the monitor ...or just pick it from a list.

4. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Install guide for the video driver on the Dell™ Inspiron™ 4000 or 8000 for Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition (Me) from the Dell™ Inspiron™ ResourceCD Version A00 to A02

To install the video driver, perform the following steps:

Insert the System Software CD into your CD or DVD drive.
    Click the Start button, and then click Run.
    The Run window appears.
    Type x:\winme\video\setup, where x is the drive letter of your CD or DVD drive, and then click OK.
    The installer copies files and the Setup Complete window appears.
    Click to select Yes, I want to restart my computer, and then click Finish.
    Your computer restarts.
    After your computer restarts, proceed to the Configure Your Display Parameters section and change the video resolution to the optimum setting for the LCD.

From Dell's website

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds