Installed Windows on Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thedirewolf, Dec 29, 2010.

1. thedirewolf

thedirewolf Private E-2

I recently had to re-install Windows 7 on my Dell laptop and I mistakenly selected the recovery partition as the target drive. How do I get it out of there?

Thanks, Richard

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I am assuming you did the reload from a DVD copy of Windows. If so, the best advice is to start over and use the DVD to reinstall it on the correct partition.

If you already did the install on the restore partition, you might as well use the Windows DVD setup option to delete the restore partition and combine everything into one drive letter. If the OEM restore data has been modified it will no longer work for the boot-up restore option.

Although Windows 7 should auto install your drivers, you may have to go to Dell's support site from another PC to download some drivers to a CD or flash drive and install them manually. Use the Dell service code on the bottom of the PC to locate the correct drivers if needed.

If you're not sure all the drivers are installed, go to CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>DEVICE MANAGER. Any missing drivers will be noted with a red "x" or yellow "?".

Hope this helps. :)

3. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

Best thing is to start over like gman863 suggested. I would delete all partitions on the hard drive and just install windows 7. If I'm thinking correctly, Windows7 will automatically install the recovery partition.

4. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

i may be a little late here but it would depend on weather you can get the recovery image placed back on the partition. the dell system boots to a small dos partition then jumps too the recovery partition when you select to recovry the factoy image.
    if the mbr hasnt been disturbed then the sysem should be repairable if it has you can still reconstruct the recovery partitin with 3rd party software and have the ability to update the saved recovery image wiht a new image of the clean boot with your personal setup programs no trialware crap.

if the recovery partition was fromated the factory image is gone.
    I understand it was a nortan ghost image file ( at leaste winnxp was )
    the 1st imges were self made from the system utillities mune is the start menu.

if the computer shows a blue line [dell] before windows loading screen
    about 2 seconeds where your suposed to press f8 to recover to the system factory image. then the factory installed MBR is still intact and the recovery partition will only need to have a iamge with the proper named file to recover from.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

this link explains it fully

any how a 3 part system is a great system for a fast recovery from malware trojins and virus which cause havoc and better then weeks to eliminate and you are neve really confident youve rid the system of it.

i would not format the drive but would try and restire the recovery image and reinstall winodw on the 2nd partition where it should be

as the dell factory MBR is not replacable!!!!!
    you would need 3rd party software to use another pree f8 statment to get there.
    then show an additional press f2 or f12 ........

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I agree that using the boot-up restore option is the easiest method. My advice to the OP was based on my understanding the restore partition had been modified due since it was the install target.

If the OP needs a Dell-specific restore disk (same install package as the MBR), it should be available for purchase from Dell. If not listed on Dell's website, the OP will need to call Dell tech support for availability and pricing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds