Installin XP Pro 64bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by sidvarman, Feb 12, 2006.

1. sidvarman

sidvarman Private E-2

having a bit of trouble with installing XP 64 bit on my system. its config is an ASUS K8S-MX series mobo working on a 120GB Sata drive. maybe this is not the right forum but can anyone plz help in lettin me know how and where to get the sis drivers and to create the sata floppy as the OS does not detect the hdd on installation. have got one for the XP pro 32 bit one but cannot use it on the installation of 64 bit.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I looked at your mobo specs and it seems it natively supports SATA meaning no drivers needed to install. Does your BIOS see the drive? Does XP x32 able to load. Also the SATA data cable gets loose easily unless you have a locking adapter like the WD Caviars. As far as other drivers are concerned like chipset etc, you can install them after loading the OS.

3. sidvarman

sidvarman Private E-2

the drive and all are detected and to load XP pro 32 bit, i have a floppy which has the SATA drivers for XP/2000. the same cannot be used in loading the 64 bit as I get an error that the drivers are not 64 bit compatible. the dumb part is.... the mobo pdf file from asus say the support CD is bootabe and can help create the sata boot floppy but never does boot to help create the floppy. so... there i am. stuck with a XP boot CD and no way to load the os into it.

in case more info is needed:
    to load XP pro 32bit SP2 on my asus mobo's SATA, need to use a floppy with the sata drivers to help the CD detect the hdd.
    have loaded Mandriva 06 thru a DVD which autodetected the SATA. XP Pro SP2 did not and neither does the XP Pro 64bit.

config of the current system:
    mobo is ASUS k8s-mx
    hdd SATA 210GB seagate
    proc AMD 64bit 3000+
    512 MB DDR
    256 MB nVidia 6600 AGP
    Soundblaster 5.1 Live!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What augie was saying is that unless you are using RAID, the floppy isn't needed. I've gone through 3 sata motherboards so far, and none have required any driver disk, save for RAID situations.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. sidvarman

sidvarman Private E-2

thnx for info but never did make a raid before to start with and needed the floppy nevertheless. had tried to load XP all versions in 32 bit without the floppy but never detects the hdd without the floppy. will try the new driver and get back if any issues.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds