Installing a new External USB, DVD/CD-RW+DVDRW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DazzlingDasha, Mar 27, 2013.

1. DazzlingDasha

DazzlingDasha Private E-2

Hello::wave I am Installing a new USB - DVD/CD-RW+DVD-RW combo (External) onto my Dell PC Win XP3. Do I just Plug and Burn (Play) or do I have to format or run an install Program first? Will it automatically be recognised as the new "Drive D"! The original internal DVD-CD-RW Rom Drive (D) has Passed away, what do you think Guys :)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It will be recognized without installing a thing. The drive will probably be assigned the letter E because, even though the internal drive is non-functioning, it is assigned the letter D.

Make sure your burning program sees the drive. The program might see both D and E so when you burn anything, be sure you select the correct drive.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The only problem I see is if you need to reinstall Windows from a CD — that would have to be from an internal drive.

But there are ways to do so from a bootable USB flash drive (I've done it myself).

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It depends on the machine. I've used external drives to boot off of or install from many a time.

5. DazzlingDasha

DazzlingDasha Private E-2

Thanks everyone! plodr I never had a "DVD burner" before only the old internal DVD/CD-RW. what program do I have to install? Or do you just mean a "DVD burning program" like "Handbreak" or Nero? Thanks again to you all Dasha:)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yes, I meant a DVD burning program. If there is none on the computer and none came with the external drive, then you get to install what you want.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds