Installing a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lolli, Apr 24, 2009.

1. lolli

lolli Private E-2

Hi guys.. again... a while back my hard drive was corrupted by that nasty win32virut.gen virus... from what i understand, i ended up with a corrupted boot sector....

I took it in to the local store who handed it back to me and said it's virus free but the sector was not fixable...

Here is my situation... I am currently using an old computer with a 12 gig IDE "i believe" hard drive that has "win xp home" on it... My old corrupted hard drive is a 200 gig sata seagate drive....

I went to Best Buy and bought a TB Western Digital Sata Drive...

I dont know what to do with any of this.. I tried making my corrupted drive a slave drive to the other to back up stuff.. that did not work..

I do not have any disks of an OS.. because it was all on a partition on the currupted drive...

How do I go about just installing the new drive with Xp on it... Do I connect it to the 20 gig and let it transfer over windows.. then put it back in my old computer and it will be good...

Or will it be bad because the old drive was XP Media Center.. and this one is Home....

how should I go about doing this.. is there a place that i can put in my key to download a copy of Media Center??

Please help, this has been at least 2 months or so since this has been going on, and i've had to use this old dinosaur "Samsung - with a duron" lol

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies

2. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

I wouldn't plug a corrupt HDD into a pc with a healthy HDD already plugged in, you're just asking for Karma to come & get you again LOL

If you don't have any OS disks you cannot install an OS quite simply :-D
    This is mainly down to security & copyright, if I could get into you're PC & plug in my HDD as a slave I could copy you're entire HDD otherwise. Plus some people would spread a fresh copy of their OS over the internet if it could be copied.

What you need is to get yourself an OEM operating system, they are for system builder only but not many places ask LOL If they do just say you are building a system :-D OEM are cheaper because they don't come with any packaging, my XP Home has the disk in a paper wallet with a CD Key on a sticker :)

Hope this helps :)

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

3. lolli

lolli Private E-2

Ok :-D I think i got ya.. call a computer store and ask to purchase an OEM CD right?... and once i do that..... remove the old hard drive, put in the new one.. make sure bios recognizeses it? right... then let the CD do its works?

Let me ask you this.. what if.. being that i'm on a completely clean system right now.. even though it's older.. and it's xp home edition... would I be able to copy this hard drive to the new one.. and just run it of xp home..? or would that cause a problem with drivers and such?

Oh.. I guess the western digital came with the CD that will let it copy over the contents .... is what i'm referring to above... i'm just so stubbern its' just eating at me looking at it sitting here haha

4. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

If you're in the US then this is what you want : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511
    Just a CD & a paper booklet LOL

If you wanna take a look at their range (upgrade maybe while you have the chance) here it is too: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems
    Take a look at the price differance between OEM & retail packaging it's awful.

To install XP it's as simple as setting you're boot order in the BIOS:

1st Boot Device: CD/DVD ROM/RW
    2nd Boot Device: Western Digital etc
    3rd Boot Device: None

Then save & exit which will re start you're pc, then insert the XP CD & boot from CD. You will eventually need to format the HD for the first time then install XP on that newly formatted HD partition. With XP I can get from Format to fully working & rigistered PC within 6 hours :-D

I know it takes a long time but that includes finding all the drivers I need for all my devices, that is basically it a crash course in installing XP LOL

It is not possible to my knowledge to copy an operating system from one HD to another, & if it were you would run into all sorts of issues which would make it more bother than it was worth :-D

Hope this helps.

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You could take an image of the drive and place it onto the other drive. However, in this case it would copy the corrupted sectors and viruses with it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds