Installing AVG

Discussion in 'Software' started by munkie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. munkie

munkie Private E-2

I'm having a problem installing AVG 8.0. I've uninstalled Anvira cuz it's a piece of crap. Now everytime I try to install AVG, I get this:
    Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for file avgwdsvc.exe: starting service....
    Error 0x800736b1
    I have no idea what that means. At first I got a message about a file already being in use. I fixed that and now I get this one.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated cuz I am currently without an Antivirus.

2. deandogg

deandogg Private E-2

i had avg ..and got a virus in it..i switched to anti-vir recently

3. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

munkie, what version of windows are you running? Also what service packs?
    If 2k, you need SP4; if XP you need SP2 before you can install it. I'm not sure if you need SP1 in Vista. It will not install on anything lower than windows 2000.

5. deandogg

deandogg Private E-2

i agree.. i had avg (no issues) for 2 years and a virus got into it and closed the program and infected the computer..

6. munkie

munkie Private E-2

I'm running XP Media Center, SP 2. I'm fairly certain I got a virus cuz Avira would always find one, but could never repair it. I run all kinds of online virus scans and have the Geek Squad MRI disc and have run it. I'm pretty sure I have a virus cuz it causes all these false windows security pop ups. At first, I thought I had the Virtumonde virus. But I've ran several Virtumonde specific clean up tools and they never find anything. Anyways, the virus or spyware, or malware or whatever it is also runs the "Windows Must Shutdown..." bluescreen as my screensaver and I can't change it. I know this isn't the right forum, but I could really use some help in identifying and finding a solution for whatever the problem is.

7. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Hi Munkie

I would if I was you use the Free Antivirus on line Trend House Call and let it do a scan.
    From memory at the end of the scan it will show you files/viruses that it can possibly repair.

I was using the Free AVG 7.0 up to a month or two back and then I downloaded and installed the new version Free AVG 8.0 and found the AVG 8.0 programming was too sosphicated giving me a multitude of major problems. Certainly AVG may now have fixed/modified their program

Please Note!
    I have now been using the Free AVAST Home Antivirus and, yes, I feel has met my requirements

8. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I got tired of paying more every year, for increasingly resource hungry protection, that should come with the product, and an operating system that seems to create its own problems. When Vista hit the street I began the move to Linux. I really hope Windows 7 is a winner, but I have my doubts. chkdsk Defrag, reboot anyone? bug

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Munkie......Mark Trent is correct. Until you have visited the Malware Forum and allowed the Authorized Malware Fighters to give you a clean bill of health there really is no point in trying to solve software issues that quite possibly could be related or affecting your system's performance.

Once you have the malware resolved, come back if you still experience other issues.

10. Rich639

Rich639 Private E-2

Installing AVG 8.0

I've been running the licensed (paid for) AVG 7 for 23 months for use on three systems.

With the problems I have had in the past, and the problems I am having trying to install AVG 8 I'm not sure if I will pay for future updates. It's not really an issue of the cost, it's the time spent trying to sort the program out.

I spent a few hours attempting to install AVG 8, and looking at what I have to do, possibly on two more systems, to maybe install the program, is just not what I want to do right now.

I need a system that is simple and does not bog my systems down...

Rich

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds