Installing Extra Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pipamoz, Jun 30, 2005.

1. pipamoz

pipamoz Private E-2

I have installed an extra harddrive but cannot see it in "My Computer". It is attached to an Ultra ATA 133 Controller added in PCI slot. I have set it to slave and used seperate ribbon cable coz it's different speed to existing hd but it just won't play nicely.

Can you help me?

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

You did fdisk and format the drive first before attaching it to the ATA controller card.

All the best

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Or you can just partition it by booting to your windows install cd (I recommend this to anyone who is not firmiliar with disk utilities) and follow the instructions all the way up to partitioning the disk (make SURE you select the right drive) then partition it however you desire, then after that...do not proceed any farther (don't go on to the next step, which is formationg) just remove the windows cd and restart the computer, and it should then recognize the new drive and then you should be able to go into "My Computer", right click on the new drive and select "Format" and follow the prompts, and then you should be good to go!!!

Drop a line if any of it is confusing, don'r proceed untill you understand the instructions!!

Roger

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As you have added the HD on a separate IDE cable than your other HD then you will need to change the jumper to Master and not Slave... only need to use Slave if both HDs are on the same cable.

5. pipamoz

pipamoz Private E-2

thx 4 all the replies, I did get the new HD working earlier after all but I then went to lunch and forgot about you guys.

However, I have a new problem...

I now need to make the new HD act as a continuation of original C drive. Is this possible? I want to update my system software which will exceed the available free space, so I wondered if I can force the computer to just continue the installation onto the new HD.

Heeeelp!!!

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Cannot be done that way. One way would be to copy all the info from your original HDD to the new one and then reconfigure your system. You could then use the original HDD as a second hard disk for say data. If you did the HDD upgrade with the ATA controller card then the above proceedure is only a 'little' more difficult to undertake.

All the best

7. pipamoz

pipamoz Private E-2

Dear Mr Reversal,

I had a horrible feeling that this was the case, thx, I will try this...

Mr Moz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds