installing MSOffice

Discussion in 'Software' started by pattipat, Apr 7, 2014.

1. pattipat

pattipat Private E-2

I originally posted to this thread and they thought I might have malware. We went through all the malware "stuff" and Kestrel13 determined I apparently don't have a problem with malware and suggested I come back here for help.

I purchased a new Dell computer, set it all up and set up everything to the best of my limited abilities. I installed the purchased MSOffice 2013 and checked it out enough to know it was working. I'm TOTALLY new to Windows 8.1, have been using XP at home and Windows 7 at work, so I was testing the waters trying to figure everything out. Something happened and it asked me to "clean my computer" and then suggested I needed to go back to an earlier restore point, which I did. This of course removed the installation of Office. After going through all the malware stuff and apparently I am clear on that I need to try to once again install Office. I found something on the computer when uninstalling all the things Kestrel13 advised me to uninstall that said repair Office. I did that and at least now it is allowing me to attempt to install. That is an improvement! Somewhere in all the fiddling, I now have Network2 in my settings. I'm pretty sure when I was setting up my internet connection it was Network1, but since it all seemed to be going smoothly, I didn't really notice. I wonder if this has something to do with my current problem as when I try to install Office I get this error message.

"We're sorry, we can't continue because we weren't able to download a required file. Please make sure you're connected to the internet or connect to a different network, then try again." I don't know how to connect to a different network, but I will continue to explore that question.

Can you help? I have another issue I'd like help with once we get this one resolved! I'm really struggling with Windows 8.1 so I need to tackle one issue at a time. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and the Network1/Network2 thing will resolve both issues!

Thanks,
    Patti

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Windows 8 is no different then its predecessors. I do not know why everyone is finding it so confusing. You strip away the Metro interface, by either using Start8, Classic Shell, to have the common Windows Desktop.

Just because the Metro Interface is the first thing that greets you. Does not make it any different then the others.

Make sure you are doing everything from the desktop, not from Metro. If you are getting error messages about limited connectivity. That is usually a router issue. Has nothing to do with the computer, unless you assigned the new computer with a static IP, that another computer uses.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds