Installing multiple disc drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tarwedge, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

Im about to install a second dvd rom drive in another computer, and want to be able to use it do direct disc to disc copying.

Does the second drive need to be on a different IDE cable than the first drive? I have a feeling I had this problem before, but I can't remember which way was the right way to set them up.

2. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

I don't know if it needs to be, but I know Nero gave me a warning at one point that my drives were on the same IDE cable and that it may give problems. I haven't encountered any, but your mileage may vary.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If on the same cable they do tend to be a bit slower in copying data as datas going in/out on same controller, if on separate ide controllers data is out on 1 in on the other so no issues with buffering, but with modern drives they have built in buffer protection to prevent buffer overuns.

Ideal is to have them as master on their own IDE cable, but not always going to happen, depends on other hardware you have.

try it and see both ways and see whats quickest or works best.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds