Installing new HD - Formatting?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kwyjibo, Aug 16, 2004.

1. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Private E-2

I'm going to purchase this HD (what seems to me a very good deal, though if someone sees a problem with it, tell me), but I have a question: I'm going to set it up as a primary slave drive, and I am running an XP home system (no disk, it is a Vaio), but when I install it, will Windows format it, will I need a disk (dl software or provided with HD)?

Once again, any help/suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.

Always cautious when I see deal this good ($50 for 120gig HD :) )

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Windows should recognize it as an unpartioned drive and offer to format it for you.

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

If that doesn't happen, you can go Start --> Run --> "diskmgmt.msc". Then right-click the "Unpartitioned Space" on what should be Drive 1 (Drive 0 should be your C: drive). Choose Create Partition from the drop-down menu. Choose Primary Partition, and the next step of the Wizard should offer to format it for you. You can also choose the drive letter you want to give it.

If the disk doesn't show up in Disk Management, then it is likely that the BIOS hasn't detected the drive, and you need to check your BIOS settings and the jumper settings as well as ensure the cables are connected properly and securely.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds