Installing new MOBO with old hard drive..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SweatyBanana, Nov 5, 2006.

1. SweatyBanana

SweatyBanana Private E-2

Could somebody tell me whenever I try to upgrade my mobo, the comp will get to the loading screen then shut off?

Note that I am using a hard drive from a different computer when installing the new mobo..

Can anyone tell me the correct procedure on how to do this?

My step-dad (a comp wiz more or less) couldn't figure this one out.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

If the hard drive came from another pc, and you are trying to use the same windows, your chances arent good, most likely you will have to reinstall windows. ed

3. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

I tried this a few times. The only time it worked and booted into Windows was when I pulled a hard drive out of one pc and put it into a virtually identical one. They both had the same mobo. From what I've heard, if the operating system detects any significant hardware changes or differences between the pc it was in and the one you move it to, it won't boot. One way to 'trick' the OS into booting is to remove all hadware that isn't vital, and then, if you get away with it, and you can get the HD to boot, put the components in again, one by one. Don't know if this definitely works so don't hold your breath. :confused: :)
    If you need to access data on that hard drive and can't access it on the original motherboard, you could do it by putting a different HD into the computer, installing windows on it, and then putting your original HD in, set to slave. This should then show up in My Computer.

4. SweatyBanana

SweatyBanana Private E-2

Dang..

We went out and just bought some pre-built computers a few weeks ago (Ewwwww).

My step-dad had bought like 2 new mobos that he couldnt get to work because of it.

5. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Always back the important stuff up before an upgrade, or better still, keep it on a seperate drive or partition! (i always believe you keep the good stuff seperate from the OS).
    That way 'format' doesn't have to be a four letter word....err six!

New mobo=new upgrade= old hard drive= format and clean OS install.... piece of cake!

edit: i'm assuming you have done your hardware compatibility homework!

Regards...

6. SweatyBanana

SweatyBanana Private E-2

You would assume correctly :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds