Installing SATA drives from manufacturer...

Discussion in 'Software' started by kguthrie, May 31, 2009.

1. kguthrie

kguthrie Private E-2

after going into Linux and completely clearing my hard drive and deleting the partition, a new partition wasn't created for the only operable SATA drivers (that Gateway changed when they configured my pc, among other things). Windows default SATA drivers won't work, at all. All that I have is the correct drivers on a CD in an ISO and .exe. Since I wasn't able to load them when I set up Windows (no floppy), is there any way that I can do it before Windows begins to boot? I have the (it's actually a DVD) in the DVD ROM with the drive as the Master. I know that there is a way of doing it, I just don't know how.
    Please help.

Gateway GT5014 PC
    Intel Cortez 945G (NT94510J) motherboard
    Pentium D processor
    Intel 945GV Chipset
    Gateway Keyboard A064586
    Gateway SATA driver
    Windows XP Media Edition 2005 SP2

Gateway really really sucks...

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Great advice above! However, there's another route.... boot to a PECD (like the UBCD4Win for example) and partition the drive and format it NTFS. Then boot to your XP install CD and it now will recognize the NTFS drive. There are numerous other ways to format the drive like by using the install/setup software from the drive maker's web site (like Seagate has their http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD and Western Digital has their WD DLGtools). You can also hook up the drive as a secondary drive on a functional PC and format it that way....

4. kguthrie

kguthrie Private E-2

Yeah, that's helpful. I'm in the middle of trying to restore my computer and the first thing that I'm thinking of is getting a new handbag...
    I obtained 2 floppy drives and 4 disks today. I put the folder on the disk (actually two so I would have a back up just in case). Booted up the Windows XP install cd, pressed F6 when prompted to, inserted the floppy.
    "The file txtsetup.oem could not be found. Press any key to continue".
    I did something wrong somewhere. I just copied the file that my comp tech friend sent me that had the SATA drivers on it. Somehow that system isn't reading it.
    Am I going to have to go back in through Linux and slipstream the drivers into the install disk? Anyone have any ideas, other than handbags?

5. kguthrie

kguthrie Private E-2

The handbag reference was from a spam post that was on here last night selling fake Louis V handbags. I have to keep my sense of humor somehow.
    We figured out what was wrong with the floppy. He had the file at the root of about five folders, set up couldn't find them. So, somehow I have to go in, fix the floppy to where it's just the folder containing the files. But...
    the floppy is on the pc that I'm trying to reinstall Windows on. Anyone know of a way or a site that can tell me how to do it? I have a burner on my laptop, so I can make another copy of the floppy. I know it can be done in Linux, I just don't know how to access it (c: isn't reading Sysrescd to run Linux, and that's how we wrote the Set up disk to DVD from a usb stick). And slipstreaming the driver into the set up disk isn't possible because my laptop burner is cd only.
    I'm so close...

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

The sata files required for the floppy should all be located at root level and not inside any folders......

Slipstreaming XP and the sata drivers will easily fit on a cdr.

Good Luck

7. kguthrie

kguthrie Private E-2

I said that in my last post that I realized that the floppy had to contain the root folder only, I actually meant the files themselves. My CD/W will only write on cd's, not on dvd's, also stated in my last post. I am stuck with having to somehow run the cd/dvd rom and floppy drive in my pc that is done installing Windows, but can't run it because it doesn't contain a SATA driver. I cannot edit the folder on the floppy becasue, it is on my pc. Unless someone has some knowledge of how to access the floppy so I can edit it and re-run Windows install.
    Thanks for any help

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused

I'm confused.... if you are trying to install WinXP to a new SATA drive, there are 3 ways to do this:

Method 1. create an "F6" floppy with the SATA drivers for your chipset on it. You can download the "F6" floppy creation tool for your Intel chipset from this link. There's a "readme" at that link that explains the whole process. Then boot to the XP install CD and press F6 when it says "Press F6. . . " at the bottom of the screen, then insert the floppy you just created when prompted to.

Method 2. create an XP install disc with the drivers from method 1 above slipstreamed in to it.

Method 3. boot to a PE disc, or use the manufacturer's software to format the SATA drive as an NTFS partition, then boot to the XP install disc as usual, and it will recognize the drive and you can install Windows without needing the floppy at all.

I guess that method 3.a. would be to attach the drive externally via USB to a functional PC and format it NTFS from there, but it's the same concept and theory as method 3. Now, if I'm way off base and you're NOT trying to install XP to a new SATA disk, then please set me straight and explain CLEARLY exactly what you need to accomplish.

:-D

9. kguthrie

kguthrie Private E-2

Actually, what I was doing was reinstalling XP SP2 onto my pc that already contained a SATA driver (the hard drive was wiped and reformatted due to file and registry corruption). From what I understood, that is one of the devices that XP install does not support in their install. Come to find out, after wasting a bunch of time and effort on my part and those who responded to this post or read it, it is included in Service Pack 2.
    No need for the floppy. Gateway and Intel could have just come right out and said that when I asked their support, but they neglected that fact.
    That's why it when I finally got the disk to the actual files, when I tried to import it, it informed me that they were out of date.
    So, to anyone that might have to reinstall Windows XP and you include SP2 or 3, check what drivers are included in the service pack. It would have saved me about five hours of my time.
    Thanks again to everyone that offered help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds