Installing software/programs on another partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by devilishly.charmin, Jan 2, 2010.

1. devilishly.charmin

devilishly.charmin Private First Class

Hi,

I have been meaning to do this for a long time now and finally got round to create a seperate partition on my drive to install all my software/programs on so they are not installed on the Windows partition.

All went well up until I tried to install my first bit of software on the new partition (Camtasia was the software to be exact). When attempting to install I got a error that I did not have the privileges to install the software, log on as administrator or contact your system administrator

It is Windows 7, 32bit

What can I do about this? I thought it would of been standard to be able to do this :(

Thanks in advance

edit ... just tried to install Firefox incase it was the Camtasia setup. "You don't have access to write to this installation directory." :(

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So, I take it that this only happens IF you install to the partition you created?

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

While I am a firm beleiver in creating separate partitions for photos, music, user files created with word processing, spreadsheet, etc., and downloaded software installation/setup files, I don't see much point in installing programs on non-OS partitions. You'd still need to resinstall them if your OS got badly messed up and you formatted and reinstalled it.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Seconded! There is nothing at all to be gained from installing software to a separate partition, and everything to be gained from keeping your personal files there.

5. devilishly.charmin

Hi, thank you all for your replies. Regardless, do you know if there is a way to resolve this?

@ Adrynalyne - Yes it is when trying to install software on the partition I created specifically for programs

6. Earthling

Although, as I have said, I can't see any point in installing software to a partition other than the OS partition, equally I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to do so if you want. So I tested this in a Win 7 VM using EASEUS Partition Master to create the new partition. I tried it with both Primary and Logical partitions and in both cases Firefox installed to the new partition without any problems.

So it would seem there is something non-standard about your new partition. How was it created?

Attached Files:

7. devilishly.charmin

Hi Earth, I created the partition via the installation section of Windows 7, perhaps something went wrong there? I was going to reformat again, since I have not installed a lot of my stuff yet until I find out how its done. Should I format again, have the whole OS on one drive and then use the Easeus Partition Master to partition the drive? I have that software too so should be able to manage that.

Thanks,

Luke

8. Earthling

No need to reformat. Use EASEUS to shrink your Win 7 partition and to create a new NTFS primary partition in the vacated space.

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

How did you do this? If you used the Shrink Volume feature in Windows 7, I see no reason why that would not work.

10. devilishly.charmin

Hi Earth, thank you very much for your replies in this thread. I took your advice and just shrunk the drive using the Easeus software and created the new primary partition in the space left over. This however did not work and gave me the same errors about needing admin privileges etc etc. However, I reformatted the Windows 7 and just made the 1 partition. (Windows 7) I then shrunk the drive with the Easeus software again, making the same drive NTFS primary partition and that seems to have done the job! Don't ask why it did not do it before because I have no clue. Trial and error done the job in the end :D Thanks for your help anyway, much appreciated indeed :wine Cheers!

Not too sure what went wrong mate, all seems to be sorted though, thankfully. Thanks for looking at the thread and having a input. Appreciate it too.

11. Earthling

All's well etc ;) Thanks for the feedback.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds