Installing Win XP Pro (Retail SP2) on a RAID 0 array

Discussion in 'Software' started by tom66, Mar 17, 2011.

1. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

I have a CD of Windows XP Pro SP2 Retail. I'm building a PC with two 128GB SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration to give 256 GB of storage and fast read times. Ubuntu can work with these drives fine, and is already installed. However, Windows XP setup cannot detect any HDDs and refuses to continue.

I looked in the manual for my chipset, and it says that I need to create a floppy. The problem is, I have no computers with floppy drives, and the PC itself doesn't have a floppy, and I'm not even sure if I have a blank floppy lying around. :-o Additionally, it's somewhat vague on how to create this floppy, including where to find the drivers.

So, what do I do?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Just a quick question (as I'm heading out the door but may help others give you an answer), and that is what motherboard make and model do you have (that manual give a large list of various chipsets)? plus if you boot to the BIOS is one of the option in the Boot Order for Boot to USB at all?

If you can boot to USB or not the option is to extract the SATA/Raid drivers from the Nvidia chipset driver for your Chipset/Motherboard and slipstream them into a Windows install CD. nLite is goof for this HERE and instruction HERE

*I'm aksing for the motherboard make and model so I can download the driver pack for that chipset used and see if I can extract the SATA drivers you need, then I can instruct you on what to do. If i dont get back straight away...likely tomorrow now, then the info about may help you or another of our members to guide you through what to do*

3. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Ah, sorry, forgot to include that. It's an Abit KN9 Ultra.

The BIOS supports booting from USB, but I'm not sure if XP itself will (never done it.)

Thanks for helping out.

4. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Any idea on what I can do? Thanks.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

I couldn't download the driver on abit's site, so I used:
    http://download.cnet.com/nvraid-32v111-zip/3000-18492_4-209613.html

From there, you should be able to extract and copy the contents of disk onto a floppy. Don't just copy the folder, but the contents.

Then find a usb floppy drive.

Or use nlite, as was suggested by davidgp.

6. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

One problem with the floppy is that I cannot use all USB floppy drives with Windows setup. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196 I cannot buy any floppy and hope it will work.

Nlite won't work as I don't actually have Windows on any of my machines at the moment. :/

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

8. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

9. techsent

techsent Corporal

theefool already located the raid/sata drivers but here's the link at abit.

NvRaid Installation Disk. They offer 32-bit and 64-bit.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_driver_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Driver&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=KN9+Ultra&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket AM2

You may want to download the applicable zip file and extract the contents to the desktop. Open the new folder and copy all of the contents inside the new folder's subfolder to the root of the new folder so that all files are in one folder.
    Next, burn all files in the new folder onto a blank cd.
    Go to the computer's bios and set the boot sequence to search for the cd-rom first.
    save changes and power down the machine.
    insert the XP cd-rom and boot up.
    The Windows screen will appear and prompt you to press F6 to install 3rd party drivers. Press F6 quickly.
    remove the windows cd-rom and insert the newly burned cd with the sata/raid drivers. Windows should find the drivers and complete the install.
    remove the cd and re-insert the XP cd.
    press control/alt/delete to reboot the computer.
    the computer will boot the xp cd. follow the prompts to move through the installation.

Techsent

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds