Installing Win7 64-bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nickompoop, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

I finally have the money to ditch Vista :-D :major, and I've got some questions about upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

1. I ran Microsoft's upgrade checker software, but I just want to double check if my hardware is up to the job.
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo E4600
    ECS 945GCT-M3 motherboard
    nVidia 9800 GTX+ video card

2. What's the overhead of Win7 Home Premium 64-bit versus Vista Home Basic? Does it have more, less, or about the same amount of overhead?

3. I have MS Office 2007. How do I back the program up so I don't have to buy another license?

4. I also have CyberLink Power Director (its a video editing program) that was 60 bucks, and I really don't want to buy it again. How do I back up an entire program?

5. Can I download all the current patches for Win7 and install them before connecting to the virus infested interwebs? If so, where?

6. How do I back up my bookmarks in Chrome?

7. How do I back up the songs I've purchased on iTunes?

Well, I think those are all my questions...
    If I come up with more, I'll be sure to post 'em.
    And, as always, thanks for your time. I totally appreciate it.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

1. You're system is fine for running Win7 64-bit, although an upgrade to 4GB of RAM would definitely be recommended for better performance.
    2. The overhead (amount of RAM required) for both are approximately equal.
    3. You don't need to back up Office as you should have a disc with the license number. You use this disc to reinstall office.
    4. You should have an email from Cyberlink with the PowerDirector Serial number. You just need to redownload PD and use your serial number for the install.
    5. Unfortunately No. But that's why the first thing you do after completing install of Windows is to install your AV and Anti-malware programs.
    6 and 7. Google for this. There are lots of instructions on the web.

3. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I just checked the system requirements for Vista and Windows 7 and I was wrong. For Vista home basic the minimum ram is 512MB. For Windows 7 64 bit, the minimum ram is 2GB. So you barely have enough ram to run Win 7 64-bit. I strongly recommend you upgrade your RAM to 4GB.

4. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

Damn. I can't upgrade to 4 GBs of RAM until I upgrade my motherboard because my current one is a steaming piece of crap that only supports 2 GBs. And hardware upgrades are expensive. But thanks anyways, I'll look to your posts once I manage to get my computer up to spec.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Respectfully, 2GB is good enough for W7 IMO. ;) W7 behaves very well when a program needs extra space.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As Augie points out 2GB will be ok and I would not go for 64bit Windows 7 unless you are a power user and use software like Photoshop or Office 2010 x64 as these apps are native dedicated 64bit whereas most other applications are only psudo 64bit as they are compatible but are not native.

Question, what do you use your PC for?

Q1/2
    Overheads, well hard question as each user and PC setup is different, as it equates to the apps you run as to what Windows will need, but in a plain default (no 3rd party) apps install, then Windows 7 and its re-designed kernel and memory management works bette than Vista (although Vista's works better that XPs).

2GB will be fine as I have a netbook (2gb) with Win7 Home Premium and a laptop (2gb) with Win7 Ultimate x64 and both are snappy, I would urge you to choose wisely on security apps as these can be the bottleneck of most PCs, also scale down the startups to crucial apps only.

ECS from their website support for your motherboard dont support Windows 7 but its very likely that the drivers can be found elsewhere and the main ones are

Chipset 945GC (can be found on Intels website)
    Lan (Realtek should have this one)
    Audio (realtek should have this one too as its the ALC655 driver)
    Nvidia have Win7 32/64bit drivers for that card

Q3
    If as mentioned you have the disk for Office still (or as its also available via download from the Microsoft Store, you have the download file and access to your account which has the licence key saved), but if you dont have the media then thats an issue and you wont be able to transfer the app as it really needs installing so to add the registry keys, but if you just dont have the licence key then this app HERE can help find that for you.

But I would before you install Windows 7, uninstall Office from the Windows version you have now, then reboot, this should help as when you install Office again, if it was still on another PC then it may register with the licence server and block your new install, it can also happen that you maybe asked to re-activate it anyways and thats just a freephone call to MSFT support and tell them you upgraded Windows version and they will re-activate you (do have the CD and your Licence code handy)

Q5
    You can actually download manually the updates but in reality it would take ages to do and without a comprehensive list of the actual order to install them it wouldnt be advisable. Its just a pity SP1 is not out yet for Windows 7 but as it is on 22nd February then you could download the full network install version which will be available (dont know the sie of it yet but likely to be a few hundred megabytes in size) then you can install Windows 7 thn install the Service Pack 1 and you are then current, likely bar a few updates that would have been release prior to the ESCROW signoff of SP1.

So maybe you may not install Windows 7 before that release date.

Q6
    Open the Chrome Bookmarks Manager and choose Organize and Export bookmarks (see screenshot below of my Chrome install) or use an app like Transmute HERE (standard version is free) or Google Chrome Backup

[​IMG]

iTunes - backup HERE

If you let us know what version as in Windows 7 32bit or 64bit you go for we should be able to assist in driver and app, personally I would with your PC go for 32bit as you dont have the ram to take advantage of 64bit.

Also use an app like Easeus ToDo or Macrium Reflect *both apps are free and good* to create an image of your current Windows HDD install, just in case you need to revert back as the image backups allow you to recover your install as if you never left it (just need to create the restore boot disk that apps create)

I would suggest that you download all the drivers needed and all the current versions of applications be they the likes of CCleaner or your antivirus and have them on a CD/DVD or USB pen ready to install, also have a read of this guide for security thoughts How to Protect yourself from malware!

7. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

I use my computer for gaming (the hardware may be bad, but it's good enough for most games at 1080p) and school. I want the 64-bit version of Win7 because I plan on buying a new motherboard, CPU, and 8 GBs of RAM once I get the money, and I heard that when using so much RAM, the 64-bit version is more efficient than the 32-bit.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for my anti-virus, and Spybot for my anti-spyware.

I do not have the CD for Office because one my friends, out of generosity, gave me one of his licenses. That might be a problem.

Just as a note, on Steam, most of the games list the "Recommended" amount of RAM to play the game on Win7 as 2 GBs. Mass Effect 2 for example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24980/ Are they talking about the 32-bit or 64-bit Win7, or does it matter?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds