Installing Windows 7 on new computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Paula320, May 9, 2012.

1. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

I'm building a computer but I don't have the Windows 7 yet. I do have a Windows 7 but I've used it. If I install it onto the new computer then will it work until the new Windows 7 gets here to activate it? (You have 30 days to activate it, right?)

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

There is no reason for it not to work for the 30 day activation period.
    You need to be aware that if you install this earlier version it will use a lot of bandwidth to update itself and if you are on limited bandwidth you need to consider this.

For me personally i would run with this early version until the new one arrives and then install the new version but that is just me.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

One other thing I would mention is if the Windows you install is different than the one you are waiting for, the key will not work. Different keys are used for OEM, retail, Home Premium, Pro, and Ultimate.

4. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

I believe they are the same:

OEM system builder pack
    Windows 7 Home
    64-bit

But since I'm not a pro I'm afraid I'm missing something. The computer is for my son and he is very anxious for it but the new Windows won't be here for another 5 days. I would really hate for him to get his new software on here then have to completely reformat if it doesn't work so I'm just a little scared to try it. :/

Thank you both for the input!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds