Installing Windows on hard drive OEM partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urbanrich, May 2, 2014.

1. urbanrich

urbanrich Private E-2

Hi all

The hard drive in my laptop no longer works so I'm trying to install Windows 7 onto a replacement hard drive that came from another laptop.
    When I try to select what partition to install Windows to, it says that the main partition 229GB is OEM reserved and that it cannot install Windows on it. The second partition is only about 250MB so that's no use.

What do I have to do to change the main partition so that Windows can be installed onto it?

I'd really appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Format it.
    What other computer(s) are available? Can you install it or attach it to another computer by USB? If so, you can format the 229GB partition to ntfs.

If you don't have another computer, you can use a linux Gparted Live disk to format the partition http://gparted.org/

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If plodr's suggestion doesn't work because of the OEM label, you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard from the bootable CD (the download link for the ISO file is near the bottom of the page) and delete both partitions so you have one contiguous block of unallocated space. Windows should then install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds